Youtube comments = AJAX?

rv20

So i woud imagine youtube uses ajax for it's video comments, why do the comments not always display an equal number (pageination) sometimes you will click next and see maybe 5 comments then 10 comments then 2 comments, this happens quite a lot. Often is will display an equal amount though.

I can't see that server load would mess it up, and how can it be badly coded it's a simple select from db then set a pointer of the current record position then get the next or previouss depending on what is asked for .........

With millions of users a day, and probably hundreds of employees (maybe more) dedicated to just youtube, I would image that anything that happens happens on purpose.

Perhaps the comments are hidden because you have the "Hide Comments under Rating X" feature enabled.  In that case, maybe youtube just felt it wasn't necessary to the user experience or not worth the performance penalty to always show X comments instead of just getting the next X then filtering them.

No idea why it's like that....  Pretty sure it's on purpose though.  Or, maybe no one has told them about it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.