Design Idea

pixy

I haven't implimented this yet, but I wanted to know what you all think before I take all the time to create it.

The colors aren't what I'm going to use and all, but I was wondering what your opinions are on the navigation and site layout.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/vanillachick/scan0001.gif[/img]

(ignor all the random scribbles...I got bored)

thats very pretty, I've drawn designs for my sites before but never something to that extent.

methinks that the moving photo might become a bit of a distraction (though i undsterand why you would want a moving one) maybe it only moves when the user has its mouse over it? that would be magical

the 2 quick links sections might get a bit confusing; new users might wonder why the top quick linjs are different form their dog eared links.

That's an awesome layout, I'm crying at it's beauty and have nothing more to say

I could drop the quick links at the top, but if I do it would just take another click to get to those pages. Plus they could always just go to those pages and add them to their dog-eared links.

Thanks for your comments! I really appreciate the input.

[quote author=steviewdr link=topic=102264.msg406434#msg406434 date=1154351368]
Layout looks ok. Be careful of colours. Test it out with colours before you begin development.

-steve
[/quote] I said I wasn't actually going to use those colors, I was just using some fun colored pens. ;)

Yeah, I don't know about the colorscheme. It's not all going to be brown (I hope to incorporate colors based on the section of the site they're in) but i'm still working on making the paper part. I'm having a REALLY hard time creating the paper in photoshop.

[quote author=Colleen78 link=topic=102264.msg407014#msg407014 date=1154408140]
Wow, that looks awesome! I think making the quick links a breadcrumb navigation instead would be a very useful feature!
[/quote] I'm not sure what you mean by that. Care to explain?

[quote author=pixy link=topic=102264.msg408264#msg408264 date=1154540954]
[quote author=Colleen78 link=topic=102264.msg407014#msg407014 date=1154408140]
Wow, that looks awesome! I think making the quick links a breadcrumb navigation instead would be a very useful feature!
[/quote] I'm not sure what you mean by that. Care to explain?
[/quote]
Sure! It's like at the top of this thread, ie; PHP Freaks Forums > General Discussion > Website Critique > Design Idea

Breadcrumb navigation bascially shows the visitor where they are and they can easily click those links to go back to another section.

Oh, I know what you mean! Yeah, that would be really awesome. Thanks for the idea. I think i'll keep both. The breadcrumbs are great, but the quicklinks are for remembering pages they go to often and don't want to navigate there the long way.

[quote author=jcombs_31 link=topic=102264.msg408275#msg408275 date=1154541949]
I personally don't think I can critique anything drawn on a piece of paper.  Try to design something with an image editor and then post again.
[/quote]
I have been working on it. I'll post it tomarrow or something so you all can see the progress and how it's been changed based on suggestions.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.