can someone help me with setcoockies ?

bretx

would someone please correct my setcookie codes?  

1. 1. would someone please correct my setcookie codes?

• could someone help me?
    • coupld someone re-do my code for me?

could someone help me please i keep getting header errors, and here they are..
[quote]Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rowly/public_html/bretx-designs/login.php:1) in /home/rowly/public_html/bretx-designs/login.php on line 192

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rowly/public_html/bretx-designs/login.php:1) in /home/rowly/public_html/bretx-designs/login.php on line 193
Thank You! You will be redirected [/quote]

your help would be most appreciated. my php snippet is below.. thank you..

[quote]
<?
oB_start();
// allows you to use cookies.
include("config.php");
if (!$logged[username])
{
if (!$_POST[login])
{
echo("

<center>

<form method=\"post\">

<b>username;</b> <input type=\"text\" name=\"username\" style=\"border: 1px solid adc3ce; font-family: tahoma; font-size: 8pt; color= black; background-color: transparent\"><br>

<b>password;</b> <input type=\"password\" name=\"password\" style=\"border: 1px solid adc3ce; font-family: tahoma; font-size: 8pt; color= black; background-color: transparent\"><br>

<input type=\"submit\" value=\"   login   \" name=\"login\" style=\"border: 1px solid adc3ce; font-family: tahoma; font-size: 8pt; color= black; background-color: transparent\">

</form>

</center>");
}
if ($_POST[login]) {
// the form has been submitted. We continue...
$username=$_POST['username'];
$password = md5($_POST[password]);
// the above lines set variables with the submitted information.
$info = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE username = '$username'") or die(mysql_error());
$data = mysql_fetch_array($info);
if($data[password] != $password) {
// the password was not the user's password!
echo "Incorrect username or password!";
}else{
// the password was right!
$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE username = '$username'") or die(mysql_error());
$user = mysql_fetch_array($query);
// gets the user's information
[b]setcookie("id", $user[id], time()+3600);  /* expire in 1 hour */
setcookie("pass", $user[password], time()+3600, "/~rasmus/", ".bretx-designs.x1topsites.com", 1);[/b]
// the above lines set 2 cookies. 1 with the user's id and another with his/her password.
echo ("Thank You! You will be
redirected");
// modify the above line...add in your site url instead of yoursite.com
}
}
}
else
{
// we now display the user controls.
echo ("
Welcome $logged[username]

- <a href=\"editprofile.php\">Edit Profile

- <a href=\"members.php\">Member List

- <a href=\"logout.php\">Logout");
}
?>

Try this:
[code=php:0]<?php

include("config.php");

if (!isset($logged['username']))
{
    if (!isset($_POST['login']))
    {
        echo <<<HTML
<center>
<form method="post">
username: <input type="text" name="username" style="border: 1px solid adc3ce; font-family: tahoma; font-size: 8pt; color= black; background-color: transparent">
password: <input type="password" name="password" style="border: 1px solid adc3ce; font-family: tahoma; font-size: 8pt; color= black; background-color: transparent">
<input type="submit" value="  login  " name="login" style="border: 1px solid adc3ce; font-family: tahoma; font-size: 8pt; color= black; background-color: transparent">
</form>
</center>
HTML;
    }
    elseif (isset($_POST['login']))
    {
        // the form has been submitted. We continue...
        $username=$_POST['username'];
        $password = md5($_POST['password']);

// the above lines set variables with the submitted information.
        $info = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE username = '$username'") or die(mysql_error());
        $data = mysql_fetch_array($info);

if($data['password'] != $password)
        {
            // the password was not the user's password!
            echo "Incorrect username or password!";
        }
        else
        {
            // the password was right!
            $query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE username = '$username'") or die(mysql_error());
            $user = mysql_fetch_array($query);
            // gets the user's information
            setcookie("id", $user['id'], time()+3600);  /* expire in 1 hour */
            setcookie("pass", $user['password'], time()+3600, "/~rasmus/", ".bretx-designs.x1topsites.com", 1);

// the above lines set 2 cookies. 1 with the user's id and another with his/her password.
            echo ("Thank You! You will be redirected");

// modify the above line...add in your site url instead of yoursite.com
        }
    }
}
else
{
    // we now display the user controls.
    echo <<<HTML
Welcome {$logged['username']}
- <a href="editprofile.php">Edit Profile</a>
- <a href="members.php">Member List</a>
- <a href="logout.php">Logout</a>
HTML;
}
?>[/code]

no sorry that didnt help any, thank you for trying to help me anyways i appreciate it..
i still get this warning..

[quote]
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rowly/public_html/bretx-designs/login.php:1) in /home/rowly/public_html/bretx-designs/login.php on line 190

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rowly/public_html/bretx-designs/login.php:1) in /home/rowly/public_html/bretx-designs/login.php on line 191
[/quote]

^ the buffer has a size limit and is not recommended. Instead you should learn how to do it correctly without them.

Firstly, I can't remember how to use cookies. I've always used sessions. They're not only more secure...but they're better. :) It's easy to switch from cookies to sessions, so if ya want to do that I can help you there. :)

Is there any whitespace before the opening <?php tag in login.php. Also is there any whitespace before <?php and after ?> in config.php

As you have some form of output which causeing this error. Also how are you saving your PHP files? Make sure you saving them with ANSI encoding, if you are saving them with other type of enconding such as UTF-8 it causes this problem.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.