php help!!

lisa33

hey everyone I am very very new to php and I cant grasp it at all. I am going to apologize now for the stupid questions... I am using dreamweaver mx2004 which is compatable with php correct? So Im working on a site that needs a voting poll and the voting poll needs to automatically place the top three winners in front.  Ive been googling php all night now and I cant get past  the introduction because one says "Before you can work with php its a good idea you install php on your computer if you havent installed it yet" another says  "If your server supports php then you do not need to do anything. Just create your .php files, put them in your web directory and the server will automatically parse them for you. There is no need to compile anything nor do you need to install any extra tools." Now I called the hosting company (register.com) and they said they support php. Does this mean that when making a webpage in dreamweaver I would open up a new php pg in the column create new? Then when making a vote button it will automatically tally up the votes when clicked on? Or do I still need to install php first? Any information or links would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Depends.

If you have PHP installed on the server, you have to upload the page to see the PHP. You can still edit it with dreamweaver, but you can't test it offline.

If you have PHP installed on your computer, you can test your page before taking it online by using http://localhost/. Packages like WAMP5 and XAAMP will automatically install and configure PHP, mySQL, phpmyadmin, etc. to work together.

[quote author=Ph0enix link=topic=102286.msg405714#msg405714 date=1154229173]
WAMP5 is a very good program and its what i use. If you want to install it and see how to configure it. Go to www.phpvideotutorials.com and look at the tuts. You will learn a lot from this site. ;)
[/quote]

I have just went to this site and it looks really amazing I want to thank you for giving me this link! I went through lesson 1 with the guy and I downloaded all the items. However one question....He said we wont be using dreamweaver. So does this mean I make all my pages in here(php designer 2006) then load them right to my ftp server?

Hey guys I have downloaded php designer and wamp like mentioned in that tutorial. Is wamp considered my database or do i still need to download mysql? Also when Im finished making the poll in php designer can i bring it over to dreamweaver to design it?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.