Are my colours too bright?

grungefreak

Well I guess I know who's the cause of this thread ;) and I guess you already know my opinion as well.

You got an empty line infront of your doctype btw

Also, it isn't advicable to change the font-size/font-weight/font-type of a link on hover as sometimes the cursors ends up somewhere  "outside" the link area. But as it returns to the non :hover state the cursor is on the link area again. This can cause a loop, easily fixed by display: block; and setting a width/height if you'd like to keep the effect.

You shouldn't use <embed> btw, it's not part of any HTML standard, but <object> is and it's able to display flash as well.

Besides being bright I find yellow on a yellow background for the links quite hard to read.

I agree with the Axeia's points. About the yellow links, the yellow gradient background looks kinda odd half way through as well, like it's a browser error or something.

Personally I do think it's a little too bright, try changing the page background to white and using the current color as maybe a border around the other orange/red background?

Obviously the 'page will be ready soon' pop up will eventually go but it's very annoying!

Yikes,

But my CSS validates. Why does it look like that in IE8 if it's ok in FF3 and Chrome?

GF

Don't confuse valid css with how crappy browsers handle it. When I build a site, I make a habit of testing in all major browsers (FF, Chrome, Safari, Opera and IE). Sometimes one of the browsers will handle css code differently (usually, IE is culprit - SURPRISE!). So it may just need some finessing to get it working across all the browsers appropriately. And according to my findings, your css is not valid.

Well I guess I know who's the cause of this thread ;) and I guess you already know my opinion as well.

Not sure what you mean?

Yes I noticed that but the 'head' of my page is a php include and I must use echo'' hence creating a line of white space above this for the php tag. I can't seem to find a way around this.

Also, it isn't advicable to change the font-size/font-weight/font-type of a link on hover as sometimes the cursors ends up somewhere  "outside" the link area. But as it returns to the non :hover state the cursor is on the link area again. This can cause a loop, easily fixed by display: block; and setting a width/height if you'd like to keep the effect.

Tried your suggestion but it's the same thing,when I hover over the left side of the links, they get caught in a loop. any help would be appreciated.

You shouldn't use <embed> btw, it's not part of any HTML standard, but <object> is and it's able to display flash as well.

Besides being bright I find yellow on a yellow background for the links quite hard to read.

Will change these ones. I appreciate your comments.

GF

Yikes,

But my CSS validates. Why does it look like that in IE8 if it's ok in FF3 and Chrome?

GF

Don't confuse valid css with how crappy browsers handle it. When I build a site, I make a habit of testing in all major browsers (FF, Chrome, Safari, Opera and IE). Sometimes one of the browsers will handle css code differently (usually, IE is culprit - SURPRISE!). So it may just need some finessing to get it working across all the browsers appropriately. And according to my findings, your css is not valid.

OK I should have known better than to bluff here! It will validate shortly though. Yes I find IE to be the biggest pest. Wish it would just disappear! Thanks for the critique.

GF

I personally find that orange / red and white are hard on the eyes IMO. Would a dark background help? (untested.. I'm just making suggestions.. perhaps dark red or black for example).

I am not fond of the title effect when rolling over it. Not sure how much bandwidth was used in that, but doesn't serve well IMO.

I agree with Axeia's comments (especially about the text rollover effect). Instead, I would have the text simply change colour.

Over all, I find the site too simple.. it could use some dressing up.. I would recommend looking at some templates (not suggesting you use them or blatantly rip them off), but rather for layout / design ideas. templatemonster is one that I often frequent for inspiration. Perhaps having a look at their music section would help out?

OK I should have known better than to bluff here!

Ah, you were bluffing lol... yeah, I wouldn't do that here for sure. This place probes into sites like a vicious colonoscopy gone bad (I mean, we're talking code examination, bandwidth analysis, image optimizations, validations among other things  :P).

OK I should have known better than to bluff here!

Ah, you were bluffing lol... yeah, I wouldn't do that here for sure. This place probes into sites like a vicious colonoscopy gone bad (I mean, we're talking code examination, bandwidth analysis, image optimizations, validations among other things  :P).

I think you're bluffing with the 'bandwidth analysis'..lol. Anywhoo...Links just change color on hover now.Thanks works better. Tried your thing about dark bg, I like it to be honest but it's a bit daring. See what you think.

I realise this site is a bit simple but I just want to get it off the ground first. Then I'll put my web dev skills to use as I'm still learning CSS to be honest. I was a 'tables fan' all along (god forbid!).

Thanks again guys.

GF

I think you're bluffing with the 'bandwidth analysis'..lol

Nope :) Have a look at tools like Yahoo's Yslow. This tool is great. It gives you a breakdown of all the elements of the current site (giving nice details of amount of images, scripts, etc... and how much memory they consume). Included in Yslow is tools to optimizes images using smushit as well as tools to minify javascripts and what not...

As for the dark background, I personally like it better. It's less 'hard on the eyes' as opposed to the white bg. And the links definitely look better too (Im not sure I like the underlined look.. but that's just me.. the lines are too far away from the links themselves). In any case, an improvement already.

Thank you. I like your idea of looking at templates. It will solve my problem for getting ideas. See, I have no imagination when it comes to colors or layout, but if somebody puts it in front of me I can do it then.

Honesly, you guys are really great. Your responses are so quick, I'm thinking that's because you're all in work in the USA during the day and I'm at home in Ireland at night!

GF

Not sure what you mean?

Guess your forgot about a certain thread? Mentioned the colors there and I thought it lead to this.

Yes I noticed that but the 'head' of my page is a php include and I must use echo'' hence creating a line of white space above this for the php tag. I can't seem to find a way around this.

Probably something like:

<?php
include ( "head.php" );

?change it to

<?php include ( "head.php" );

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.