How to test your code on all browsers?

rv20

I suppose it is just IE6, IE7 and IE8 as as far as i know you can't have them all installed on your pc at once, or can you?

Is there some website out there in the internets that shows you the results of your site on all browsers?

Err somewhere on this forum is a post about a Microsoft tool allowing a preview in ie6/7/8 I think.. with intergration of browsers to be done at a later date. Not sure how reliable it is though.. only (good) way of installing the IE's seems to be by running them in something like virtualbox.

You can get stand-a-lone IEs, they aren't very stable, at least when I used them, but they are accurate.

Axeia, I think you were referring to this product:

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20090318/expression-web-superpreview-cross-browser-testing/

and this post:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,243716.0.html

A yes that's the post I was referring to.

My experiences with multiple IE have been dissapointing, what works in multiple IE can still NOT work in a real IE of the version (or the other way around).

Best test so far has been to install windows under virtual machines, but

a) You're not allowed to run 2 instances with the same key at the same time

b) You need windows licenses..

c) Recent windows version are fat pigs gobbling up a tremendous amount of resources, I though win2k would be good enough as it's small to install (xp + all updates takes up a lot of space) but it also just didn't get updates.. and IE8(maybe even 7) and Safari  wont run on it either, still good for testing IE6 though.

Vista requires OVER 20GB to install and eats RAM like there is no tomorrow.

You do not need to test compatibility with older browsers, such as IE6 and earlier. Instead you should be telling users to upgrade. The benefits from ending support for older browsers, is far greater then the disadvantages. And your users are generally quick to upgrade their browser, or switch to a better one.

I would still support IE7 though, since its support for the standards is far better then IE6. Generally you can expect things to work in IE8 if it did in IE7, unless you did something really unusual, or non-standard.

I'm even recommending that you remove the fixes already applied for older browsers, as they do more harm then good. People are unlikely to upgrade their browser, unless something goes wrong, or unless they are told to do so.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.