CSS Validation - Background Color Error

matfish

Hi, I'm trying the CSS Validation website to validate my CSS (of course) but I have the following "warnings" not "errors" as such.

94  	 .topHeader .breadcrumb .where_are_you ul li  	You have no background-color set (or background-color is set to transparent) but you have set a color. Make sure that cascading of colors keeps the text reasonably legible.
102 	.topHeader .breadcrumb .where_are_you ul li a 	You have no background-color set (or background-color is set to transparent) but you have set a color. Make sure that cascading of colors keeps the text reasonably legible.

I understand it is requiring a background color incase a user have pre-defined web browser settings which wil over-ride my own. However I have a gradient background therefore I do not want to define a background color as it ruins the effect.

Is there a way to overcome this issue or shall I just ignore as its only a "warning" and not an "error".

Many thanks

You do not need to worry about that particular error. Also, in the rare cases where some users is applying their own styles, they would be doing so on their own responsibility. There is nothing you can do if something in their stylesheet breaks, or in other ways alters the layout of your site to the worse.

Its a warning telling you to make sure that the text is readable on the given background. The warning in itself is obsolete, and the validator should not even be warning you about it in the first place. All it dose is to confuse some designers, and waste their time on something which likely is totally irrelevant anyway.

Brilliant, many thanks for your reply.

As it was only a warning and not an error I was going to ignore it anyway. I was just seeing if there was a way around it when keeping the effect of a gradient background.

Thanks again

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.