Microsoft's Bing search engine

nrg_alpha

So I recently read sitepoint's article on 'Microsoft vs Google: Bing It On' in which it mentions Microsoft's latest attempt at taking on Google's search engine by creating Bing...

So I gave Bing a shot.. I have to say.. I'm actually impressed.. Microsoft just might have something here. I thought it worked quite well and speedy too. Granted, the search results vary on a said query as opposed to Google's (no surprise there, as each engine has it's own proprietary methods). But all in all, while I can't be convinced at this time that Bing will take off (as Google is so ingrained in most peoples' search method of choice), it certainly does look promising IMO.

Quite a few similarities to Google, though it is nice. I like the AJAX (?) hover-overs to the right of the search results that fetch the site description and "also on this page" links. Interesting how they have outsourced a number of the links at the top though, such as "Shopping" and "Maps".

lol I agree... The article does mention:

The US-based service is the most complete: switch to it by clicking your country name at the top-right. Region-specific versions for the UK and other locales are expected within a few weeks.

So, perhaps location is the driving determinant at the moment..

HORRIBLE, absolutely horrible localised search results (even when selecting "only english"), got all dutch sites miles above other sites.. hate it.

And the pages I'm expecting at the top are usually 4-7th with some crap site taking up the 1-3 positions. I'd say they're better of sticking those 100 million into development instead of advertising. (or my bank account)

Don't hold back, Axeia.. tell us how you really feel! ;)

Yeah, it's definitely not perfect by any stretch.. give it few weeks.. once other locales are implemented, who knows, maybe it will improve. In any case, for those who hate it, there's still good ol' reliable Google.

I did some poking around too and I'm pretty unimpressed so far.  Don't put something out for a beta that intends to compete with the #1 until it's relatively ready for such a feat.

I did some poking around too and I'm pretty unimpressed so far.  Don't put something out for a beta that intends to compete with the #1 until it's relatively ready for such a feat.

Well, it's labeled as 'preview', so not sure where that fits into the scheme of things (i.e. alpha, beta, zulu, defcon 4... I have my doubts about it being beta given how other locales are not yet setup, let alone the quarky search results... who knows, maybe MS will do to Bing like it did to Vista.. improve on it after launch.)

My feelings are it will fall to the wayside like all of the other challengers.  Google is king of the search.  There really is no question about that.  Sure, Yahoo, MSN, and a few others get a small piece of the pie, but everyone knows google and its simplicity.  I don't see anyone topping it.

My feelings are it will fall to the wayside like all of the other challengers.  Google is king of the search.  There really is no question about that.  Sure, Yahoo, MSN, and a few others get a small piece of the pie, but everyone knows google and its simplicity.  I don't see anyone topping it.

Okay now I'm confused.  Maybe this is my nubness showing, but what is supposed to be the difference between MSN search and bing?  Is bing supposed to eventually replace MSN search or something? The "next step" to MSN search?  If I go to msn.com, right under the search field, it says "Search on MSN just got better with Bing. See how".  So if MSN already is already getting a piece of the pie so to speak, then that kind of extends to bing.  So I'm thinking really bing is about getting a bigger piece of the pie.

edit: also apparently when you go to msn.com and do a search, it actually brings up the bing page.  So I guess that pretty much answers that.

I agree Ober.. I think Google is far too widespread and entrenched to be toppled...

CV, My understanding is that Live Search replaced MSN Search (not sure if that's actually correct though) When I tried Live Search, it is now replaced with Bing (apparently, they are both identical under the hood - mainly an interface change according to an article I read earlier today).

EDIT - I never really made use of Live Search, so I'm not sure how good (or bad) it is / was.

I also have to say in microsoft's defense (or more accurately, a statement against google), that more and more google is kicking organic search ranking to the curb, in favor of paid advertising (something that article touched on briefly).  A lot of posts/blogs/articles I've read say that this is going to ultimately hurt google, as people want relevant search results, not rigged searches.  I'm still on the fence on this though.  On the one hand, I can understand that PoV but on the other hand, I have to think that if I'm wanting to spend money at some site on the internet, which sounds more secure, some random site with high organic search ranking, or someone willing to be tied into an established entity and pay for their position?  So in that respect, I'm not so sure bing is going to necessarily win over search users simply because it (claims to) is going to focus more on organic search results.

lol @ the 'linux windows'

I'll give credit where credit is due, at least they picked a good name.  And by that I mean the name does not describe in any way the function, which seems to be the trend in the largest and most successful endeavors.

http://alexa.com/siteinfo/bing.com

Something about the "bounce %" on alexa.com for bing.com makes me laugh and also the high percentage of visits that come from a search engine. 15% of the people that came to bing.com were brought by a search engine. Search engine that brings to a search engine?  :D

Your going off stats from 10 whole days....Yeah ok , thats not biased at all - http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/bing.com

I think its great! Search results are a little out, but it has many unique features, and im sure itll get better over time. I especially like the video section of preview.

AND if EVER i can get my site to load as fast as thiers, I WILL surely be back here to gloat about how great i really am

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.