Using PHP to build desktop apps?

alexweber15

There's not a hell of allot of libraries around for you to be able to do much useful stuff with php on the desktop, you'd probably be better going with something like Python (for ease of use) or C++ / C# if you wanted to get serious.

how would databases work without a web-server involved?

I don't see how databases relate to web servers. Database servers or even simple database engines like sqlite in no way depend on a http server being present.

I guess using GTK, but how real is this? 

You don't see it often that php is used for desktop apps but it sure is possible. If you are determined to use the GTK lib then you are prob better of using python like thrope said. C/C++ is also a possibility but it does have a steep learning curve. You might also want to concider Java or C# if it's a windows only thing(I wouldn't bet on the mono project for linux yet)

Also, can javascript be used?

If it's a desktop app it would be all clientside php. It would be pointless to use javascript if it was possible

There's not a hell of allot of libraries around for you to be able to do much useful stuff with php on the desktop, you'd probably be better going with something like Python (for ease of use) or C++ / C# if you wanted to get serious.

how would databases work without a web-server involved?

I don't see how databases relate to web servers. Database servers or even simple database engines like sqlite in no way depend on a http server being present.

what I mean for mysql for example it would require the client to have a local mysql server, which isn't that common outside of the developer world so unless you use a flatfile or sqlite which can be bundled easily it would be a problem afaik

server2goprovides a full Apache/PHP/MySQL stack that can even be run from read-only media such as CD. Of course, it means that the DB is read-only if you do that, but you can run it off read-write media as well.... or use it to deploy a full application that can then be run from the client PC

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.