htpasswd algorithm?

alexweber15

I've beta testing a website using htpasswd to protect the directory but I rely on 3rd party tools to generate user & password combinations and I don't like that.

Some places say it's md5, others crypt() and others say its a specific apache md5 version but at the end of the day I haven't been able to emulate it...

Can anyone shed some light please so that I can generate my own username & password combinations without relying on a third-party website?

Thanks!

Alex

It can actually be any algorithm, as long as you use the same one when you generate the value and compare the value. The most common is the crypt() DES-based

The first thing you do is generate a random two character salt -

<?php
$salt_chars = array_merge(range(0,9),range('a','z'),range('A','Z')); // any printing ASCII character is allowed, I just used the numbers and letters in this example.
shuffle($salt_chars);
$salt = $salt_chars[0];
shuffle($salt_chars);
$salt .= $salt_chars[0]; 
?>

Next, you generate the encrypted value from the entered password and the salt you just generated -

<?php
$user_input = "mypassword"; // this is the password you want to encrypt
$htpass = crypt($user_input, $salt); // $salt is the two character random salt from the above code
echo $htpass;
?>

The line you put into the .htpasswd is just the usename with the above generated $htpass value -

someusername:$htpass

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.