someone please help :(

I am really upset and confussed....Yesterday I had opened dreamweaver mx 2004 to try to play around with a php page. (I am new to php) I had first went to www.phpvideotutorials.com because someone had told me you could learn a lot there. I went step by step with the guy on there and downloaded wamp and php developer. After that I had went to dreamweaver and chose to create a new php page. I was placing some pictures on there and i had clicked on the world icon to view it in explorer when i did that it started asking me all these questions about a local server etc....i didnt know what to put because i am new to php so i guessed. after i was finished it brought up internet explorer and said my page can not befound. So i decided to open an html page which i always work on so i am familiar with that and i just placed some pics on there and when i clicked on the world to view it in enternet explorer it said page not found. I tried it several times, i  thought maybe my internet connection wasnt working but it was.. So i threw away and removed all the applications that i had just downloaded (wamp and phpdeveloper) hoping i could get dreamweaver to work the way i use to use it with the html pages, but i keep getting these pop ups...when i go to create a new html page and view it in enternet explorer the first pop up appears that says: [u][b]dreamweaver mx 2004   [/b] [/u] The file "untitled-1.htm" has been modified. do you wish to save the file before putting? yes no...i click yes (although i dont know what "putting" means) after i click yes another pop up comes and says: [u][b]update copy on testing server?[/b][/u] this will update the file on testing server. This might affect others working on the file. Proceed? yes no.....i click yes the next pop up appears and says: [u][b]dependent files[/b][/u] Include dependent files? yes no cancel... i click yes then the last and final pop up appears a red circle with a white x [u][b]MACROMEDIA DREAMWEAVER MX 2004[/b][/u]  while executing receive arguments in PIB_Dynamic.htm, the following javascript errors occured: at line 111 of file "c:\program files\macromedia\dreamweaver mx 2004\configuration\menues\mm\pib_dynamic.js" exception thrown in native function. then i have to click ok and it just goes back to the page i was working on. No preview nothing... what is wrong?and how can i fix this to just get back to working on dreamweaver how i normally do? is this because i downloaded php and wamp and then threw it away? i dont understand i want to cry, its so fustrating when you dont know anything. can someone please help me fix this :(

Nothing is wrong with dreamweaver. Also WAMP/PHP designer wouldnt of affected anything. Also you need WAMP in order to run your PHP files.

The reason why Dreweaver popped up with those messages was because .php files cannot be run in a browser, as the browser doesnt understand the PHP code within them. So it asked you setup a testing sever in order to run these files. The videos over at phpvideotutorials.com showed you how to setup PHP Designer to run your PHP. Dreamweaver isnt the best app to use when creating PHP scripts.

If you start up Dreamweaver again it shouldn't promt to setup a testing server with .html files.However if it is. You Project setting may have been changed. To chekc you project settings open up Dreamweaver and go to Site > Manage Sites Now select the project and select Edit.

Make sure the first screen is setup correctly. If it is click next. Make sure No, I dont want to use a server technology option is selected. Click Next again, and click Next again. Makie sure None is selected for How do you connect to your remove server. After taht Click Next again. Click Done. That shoudl now reset your project settings back to what is was before. NOTE: Dont run php files through Dreamweaver, unless youn ahve setup Dreamweaver to use a remote server or a local testing server (WAMP). You'll want to install WAMP in order for your PHP files to run. Web Browsers dont understand PHP code.

"Make sure the first screen is setup correctly. If it is click next. Make sure No, I dont want to use a server technology option is selected. Click Next again, and click Next again. Makie sure None is selected for How do you connect to your remove server. After taht Click Next again. Click Done. That shoudl now reset your project settings back to what is was before. NOTE: Dont run php files through Dreamweaver, unless youn ahve setup Dreamweaver to use a remote server or a local testing server (WAMP). You'll want to install WAMP in order for your PHP files to run. Web Browsers dont understand PHP code.
[/quote]

Hello Thank you so much for helping me...Ok so i went to site->manage sites then the manage site window appears. It has the word sample in the box so i highlighted it and clicked edit. Then site definition for sample box appears. It allows me to change: site name, local root folder,a check box to refresh local file list automatically, default images folder, http address, a check box to enable cache.  Can i just delete the word "sample" out of the manage window box? Because i dont see anything that gives me the option to click next or choose no for a server technology option.
Thank you so much!!!

Yeah you can delete the project if you dont want it, Just goto Site > Manage > Select Sample and click the delete/remove button on the right. NOTE you may be in the Avanced view while editting that project. Select the Simple tab in Edit projects properties window.

You can use any app you want to develope your PHP scripts with, however phpdesigner 2006 is a lot easier to setup, compared to Dreamweaver. Also PHP Designer 2006 is deigned towards PHP, as iut has features for debugging your PHP scripts with etc.

are you able to bring the php pages into dreamweaver to design them. See cause i want to do a voting poll but one that is a contest. so i want to have pictures of people then a check box under the pictures with a vote button. So they would choose their favorite by checking the box and hitting vote. Then the votes would tally up highest to lowest. Is it possible to do a voting poll like this or are you just able to do the regular polls that have a list of options like these www.poppydog.com/prod/poll.jsp ?

Yeah. But you can still use PHP designer to design the polls. You can use any app you want to you. But with dreamweaver you cannot preview how the page looks if you have PHP in it. If you want to preview the PHP code, you'll want to setup a project within dreamweaver to setup a local testing server etc.

[quote author=wildteen88 link=topic=102410.msg406678#msg406678 date=1154373503]
Yeah. But you can still use PHP designer to design the polls. You can use any app you want to you. But with dreamweaver you cannot preview how the page looks if you have PHP in it. If you want to preview the PHP code, you'll want to setup a project within dreamweaver to setup a local testing server etc.
[/quote]

So once i do my poll in php designer i just open it in dreamweaver...now when i start to design my page in dreamweaver and click the world to view it in internet explorer am i going to have answer all those questions again about local server and stuff? also i know that i wont be able to view the php items but what about the the designs i do in dreamweaver? if not will it be viewable once i put it in the ftp server? thank you!!!

Yeah if you want to view how your design looks when you click the world icon within DW and its a PHP file, it'll ask you those questions again. However you can run the code through PHP Designer if you have WAMP installed and have PHP Designer setup to point to the PHP Intepreter, all shown on the first video of that site linked above.

[quote]if not will it be viewable once i put it in the ftp server?[/quote]
No, if you run through that first video again on that site. It'll show you how to install a package called WAMP. WAMP is a web server package that you can install your PC. Once you have installed that you can save your files within the htdocs folder of the WAMP package and then go to http://localhost/filename.php to run your PHP scripts.

[quote author=wildteen88 link=topic=102410.msg407085#msg407085 date=1154424684]
Yeah if you want to view how your design looks when you click the world icon within DW and its a PHP file, it'll ask you those questions again. However you can run the code through PHP Designer if you have WAMP installed and have PHP Designer setup to point to the PHP Intepreter, all shown on the first video of that site linked above.

[quote]if not will it be viewable once i put it in the ftp server?[/quote]
No, if you run through that first video again on that site. It'll show you how to install a package called WAMP. WAMP is a web server package that you can install your PC. Once you have installed that you can save your files within the htdocs folder of the WAMP package and then go to http://localhost/filename.php to run your PHP scripts.
[/quote]

so wait wamp acts as a web server? im sorry buy i dont understand. how would i connect pages from dreamweaver to a php page in php designer if i cant load the php pages onto my ftp server? is there a good article to read about this? Im sorry to keep bothering you however thank you so much for all your help i appreciate it!

WAMP is a web server. It installs Apache (this is the actuall web server), PHP (PHP Intepreter - this is what parses the PHP code) and MySQL (which is a database).

What do you mean FTP, what do want use FTP for? If you mean FTP the files to WAMP then you dont need to. If WAMP is installed your computer and you want to test run a PHP script, before it gets uploaded to your live site, then you can move the PHP file to the htdocs folder (I think you have to goto C:\wamp\htdocs\ to get to the htdocs folder, i'm not sure) Then you open up any web browser and type in http://locahost/ - this will access WAMP aslong as Apache is running which it should be. Now just click the PHP file you want to run. Thats it. If you are satisified with how the PHP script runs you can the upload the file to your live site, by using FTP.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.