PHP Basics

I'm sure most people realize how incredibley annoying it can be when you ask a question and have it answered like a Windows help file (just as complicated).

Here's what I want to know. Where can I find a site that will explain php, and mysql in complete idiot terms so i know what i'm dealing with. I'm having a lot of trouble understanding php and mysql, though i'm sure there's some way to grasp it simply. Action script's easy, so php you'd figure would be simple as well.

I want to know what all the terms in mysql mean. www.mysql.com is of no help, because they explain all the terms using the terms names. Example: i want to know what a blob is. What the difference is between a medium blob and regular blob. I want to know what int means. So on and so forth. So all you php'rs, help out a newbie. What's your secret? Where did you go to find out this stuff?

Thanks in advance,

Shaun McKinnon

Webmonkey is where i started learning the basics and then it was just from places like this that i began to get better and also the best way, is to learn the basics and then make soimething you find interesting but alkso is a bit of a challenge. if you enjoy it then it is likley that you will be good. and want to do it more and more and before you lknow it you understand intermediate coding B) hope this is of help to you.

For PHP/MySQL...

I learned alot from the examples provided in O`Reilly's books; PHP Cookbook and MySQL Cookbook. I personally think they are the best on the market (that I know of anyway).

Also Prentice Hall has a series called CORE. These are books that details PHP and MySQL.. and a lot of other juicy stuff. However, these books are very theoretical, but it seems you want to learn technical terms etc. so they might be good for you. Personally I preffer books that provide examples of usage (Like the Cookbooks).

3rd, the owner of phpfreaks recently launched a book for the "basics" of PHP. I have it on my shelf and Injoyed that a lot too.

If books doesn't "do it" for you, I suppose you'd be forced to peak in the online manuals once in a while. Honestly, I don't think anyone coding PHP gets around that.

If you've already set up your MySQL server or have one on a web hosting service, just download the official MySQL manual from www.mysql.com and start reading. :P

It will take you an hour or so to get the hang of it.

Start with some basic tables and queries, then work your way up.

Using this forum helps too.... ;)

PHP isn't that different from other scripting languages. You've just got to persevere and it gets easier and easier as you develop quicker techniques to get the job done.

I always go to www.php.net and check out the examples of code when I'm not sure how to use a particular function.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth,

Good luck.

Hey Everyone:

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I think I'm going to try all your suggestions. I'm getting around to registering my company, (our boss wants contractors, not employees, the cheap bastard), so I'd like to be able to provide more then just pretty pictures. :D

If I figure out any really good scripts, I'll post them here.

Thanks again,

Shaun McKinnon

256FX Designs.ca

the 2 books that i used to learn php were

Php for the world wide web (ISBN 0-201-72787-0)

and

Php advanced for the world wide web (ISBN 0-201-77597-2)

they are by larry ullman and a really great books, they start from the very basic things explaining points with sample scripts, and there are excerises for you to try out.

i do also believe there is a book that deals with mysql and php together in a database driven site idea, its by the same author so u could maybe have a look for that one aswell.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.