Just took me 4 hours to install MySQL

haaki

I just decided to teach myself MySQL, Apache and PHP (With help from Sams Teach Yourself books). But I struggled like hell with just installing MySQL Community Server, and ended up only being able to install the 4.1 version!

I tried installing 5.0, 5.1 and 6.0, but they all gave a message somewhat like this: Unable to create MySQL: error 0. Is this a Vista related problem, or does it happen to everyone?

I understood from some forums that if you have installed MySQL before, that can be the problem (which i did one time in the past). But I uninstalled everything and deleted everything related to MySQL. I made new server names while configuring, but still: the only version I was able to make work was 4.1.

Anyone know what the problem is? (Apart from me being a beginner and know nothing about MySQL)

Not a Vista problem, I run WAMP (Windows Apache MySQL PHP) on my Vista and it works fine.

I did look around and I found a possible solution for you: Re: Cannot create Windows Service (that post specifically), also MySQL troubleshooting. My guess is you were installing 4 then 5 and then 6, rather than just the latest one or putting them in separate folders.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.