advanced drop down menu's

Ninjakreborn

I am trying to figure something out, it's in php because I am pretty sure php is what makes it happen.  I am creating a pretty advanced form right now, and one of the elements is the initial drop down list.  It ended up being a lost and found site, that has multiple categories and sub-categories.  What I am trying to do is something specific with the posting.  Because of the sheer size of the site itself, and number of possibilities, and possibly me adding more stuff when her funds get up there, I am creating one universal posting form.  One place that all the stuff can be posted, either lost and found, and it includes all categories, and everything.  You can post anything from just 1 form, by selecting the right choices.
I am having a slight problem, I know enough about php to handle all of the actual form handling, and processing, and databasing, but I am stuck on one thing.  Since it's going to be one universal form all on one page, I have to take into account different account types.  and I just may have no choice but to make 2 types of posting areas.  There are some posts that can be made via paid, and some that can be made via unpaid.  THere are 2 things right now, and I will probably have to split them.  Lost posting's and found posting's.  There are a few things about this I don't get, and the question I don't currently understand is just one thing.
One the drop down menu, there will be a category selection.  There are also numerous sub-categories for each category, and I would have to sort it out to where they appeared based on the category.  How do I create it to where, if they select the category, the sub-category show's up below it containing the sub-categories for that category.  How do I set this up.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.