question

Ninjakreborn

Trying to figure out an idea here but things aren't coming together.
It's goign to have mostly to do with php, because that is what is going to be cutting up the information.  I am wanting to get an advanced system in place here, something very/very deep, something that may take me a few days to get together.  I am going to learn ajax in like 2 weeks, but I don't know it yet, I am using Xhtml/css, and php to do what I need to do.
Here is the thing, on the first page, they pick a generic title, and a category.
Then they click next page, and they pick a sub-category(the sub-category display's based on the category choice on the other page).  Now here is the difficult part I want to incorporate, once I finish the system completely though, I can just copy and paste the general code and use it on all of my sites.  I am creating one drop down menu, that has every state in america, all 50 states.  That won't take very long to tell you the truth, just a few minutes.  Once I get the state information together.  Now they put in the state information, and based on what state they pick, when they click next page, the information is all carried over, including from the first page, and depending on what state they have picked, it will display a list of cities.  Every city in that given state, then they select that and enter the zip code information.  based on the state and zip code, I might create a database(one that I could use for various purposes) with all the city and state information, so I can check it all in the database, and make sure the zipcode's match the given state.  by the time I am finished developing that system for the website, I can have that as somethign I can replicate the specific database, adn then do even more when working with another project, I can just copy and paste the code, and it's my own original programming, and my own style.  This is going to be pretty easy programming wise, but may get a little technical informational wise, and I was wondering is this even going to be worth it.  I want to be able to have the type in a state, zipcode, and city.  But I didn't want them to be able to put in 100 state symbols, all states have 2 syllables, so I could get by with just setting maxlength to 2, and chances are they would type in the right thing, it would be easy as hell to validate the state anyway, but I want it to where people can search by city, like fayetville, or however you spell it, or austell, or something.  but Somebody could spell it wrong, and it would exclude it from the listing, also some people may be in another state, and in another icty, and they might spell it wrong.  Any advice.

I worked on a script like the one you described a couple years ago for a health systems corporation.  It's really tremendously easy to code, I'm not sure where your questions would spawn from that.  The only thing that was daunting was inputting every major city/zipcode/etc into a database.  But really, it was just plug and chug.  If you want to set aside a few hours for some very boring work, you shouldn't have trouble with this program.

Yeah, but this was custom made for a health system corporation.  It had additional information that johndoe.com wouldn't have.  Plus, most sites don't validate city against state and zipcode for their user data.  Most sites don't even care (except for, you know, the good ones).  If looking up users based on their location is detrimental to your site, then you should just do it, no questions asked.  If you're just doing it for an added bonus, irrelevent to your sites needs, then it really isn't worth it.  People may spell cities wrong, so have them search by zipcode instead, most people can manage to get that right :)

The company was called Health System Management Alliance based out of Tulane University.  It mainly served as a directory for university students in the south (although it covered all 50 states and US territories).  The old URL I have doesn't seem to be working anymore, so if you are really apt to looking at it just google it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.