CMS good or bad?

signature16

I would like to setup a website and I am wondering if I should spend the time setting up a CMS or not?  Do most advanced web designers use a CMS?

If I should set up a CMS.. would I be better off using one like Jomoola or should I just make a basic one myself?

Thanks!

A year back, I tried setting up a site using a CMS and found many of them (Joomla included) to be more confusing than just writing code myself :P
Perhaps it was just because of my application, however, and a CMS might be the best solution for what you intend. So I suppose my answer is that it all depends on what you're trying to do.

So that was a unhelpful response, hehe

I would like to setup a website with some flash/photoshop tutorials, + blog and a web development service.

What should I use?  Should I setup a cms for the tutorials part and then use word press for the blog or something?  and everything else by hand?

Thanks for the reply!

1. Due to certain issues/exploits in the Joomla code...many websites that used their CMS have recently been hacked and defaced. This exploit is still possible.

2. If there is going to be a lot of content that needs constant updating...then yes, I would recommend coding some form of CMS.

When I first built one of my websites, I allowed a form for people to add there story, This was before I really knew PHP
so What I done was
They complete a form, I receive an email, create a new page for them, upload the page, change the main page to show the link.
Dont seem that bad, but when working long hours, and some days receiving about 10 stories a day, it can get a bit, how you say, enoying

What I done is I build a little script, I suppose you can call it a CMS

Now, they complete a story, it then goes into a MySQL table. I log into my script, and it shows me offline stories. I can read the story, and approve it, by clicking a button.

Then AUTOMATICLY, a link is added on the main page, and the story is online

Using Mod Rewrites, nobody can tell the difference (I use there names, and make sure there unique)

If you want good security, (Hush Hush secret here) If you have a website where you can host multiple websites, get a TEST site. So you can use this for clients ect, a .biz or something cheap.

Then host your CMS admin scripts from there, as its the same server, DB connection problems is not an issue.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.