Little help with MySQL...

AncientSage

Hello,

I'm in need of knowing how to get data from one field, and from another, and so that they are associated.  For example...

[code]
CREATE TABLE config (
  config_name varchar(255) NOT NULL,
  config_value varchar(255) NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY (config_name)

);

INSERT INTO config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('max_file_size', '10000');
[/code]

I'd want to get config_name's row max_file_size, and then have it draw the value 10000 out associated with it. This is what I have so far...

[code]
                  SELECT config_name,
                              config_value
                  FROM config
                  WHERE config_name = "max_file_size"
                  ORDER BY config_name
[/code]

Will it work because it is primary key? Or do I have to do something else?

Well, so yes, it appears this would be fine after doing a bit more research (config_name and config_value...values, were submitted into the same row. So I'd guess it draws the value of that row (max_file_size, as well).

Now, if this syntax isn't correct, please do, find my problem in it.

Anyway, I need to put the information into this:

$hidden_field = "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"MAX_FILE_SIZE\" value=\"" . $maxfilesize . "\" />";

So yes, $maxfilesize is probably not putting what I want, as I want the config_value put into value, and not config_name. But I want the config_name to get me the value of the row, and then put it in $maxfilesize.

[code]
SELECT config_name,
                              config_value
                  FROM config
                  WHERE config_name = "max_file_size"
                  ORDER BY config_name
[/code]

You don't have to pull the config_name out of the database since you already know it. So, "SELECT config_value FROM config WHERE config_name='max_file_size'" will get the data you want, if I understand what it is you're trying to do.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.