A very simple site

nethnet

I decided to make an online portfolio for my screenplays, with the main focus on it being very simple yet still classy and fitting for the topic.  I threw it together in Photoshop in a few minutes as a rough draft... looking for comments.  I guess my main concern is that you see websites with layouts like this one every now and again, and some pull it off very well and others... don't.  The link is:

[url=http://theodoric.cogia.net]http://theodoric.cogia.net[/url]

I just want to note that I don't intend for this to be a final draft by any means (I'd never even give it consideration).  I just want your comments on which direction to head with this general concept as the inspiration.  Also, it's being hosted on a free server right now.  I did my best with Javascript to cover the banners, but if you get a pop-up, don't be surprised.  I haven't gotten any, but I know they are possible.

Thanks in advance!

(I haven't validated it yet, and if you view source you will see some very poor coding practices, but I do intend to go back and rewrite it properly when I have a bit more time on my hand)

[quote author=nethnet link=topic=102568.msg407210#msg407210 date=1154436331]
(I haven't validated it yet, and if you view source you will see some very poor coding practices, but I do intend to go back and rewrite it properly when I have a bit more time on my hand)
[/quote]

I'm more concerned with the appearance right now.  That is, whether or not it just looks downright stupid.  (I certainly never claimed to be a website designer, which is why I'm here)

Oh, and I guess it's worth noting that this won't be a single flat image on a black background when (if) published.  I just took that route with this because that made it loads easier to cover up the banners at the top.  Once it's moved off the free server it won't be this way.  (And yes, the links were inactive at the time of this post because I just threw it up on a site for first impressions.  I'm going to be going back and adding the other pages)

Thanks again

Long time no see! Welcome back.

All I see is an image that links nowhere.  As a thematic representation for a screenplay site I think it works really well.  If what you're 'selling' is an ability with words, understated graphics is a plus since it'll keep visitors focussed on the steak, not the sizzle.

Thanks Andy.

The links on the main page now work, as well as a few others around the site.  None of the screenplays have been uploaded yet (mainly due to privacy issues... some of them aren't protected by copyright yet and I am still being hosted on the free servers), but I'll be adding more content continuously. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.