simple question

PHP Man

Hi all!
I'm new to php and i have few questions about it.

1. what kind of programs do you use to write php script and if notepad would work okay?
2. and do you need to have your own server to see a simple result such as:

<?php

echo="this"
?>

or is there any other way of getting it to work?

thnx for visiting the post. :)

1. Notepad will work just fine, it's what I use. Though if you like wysiwyg editors, use dreamweaver (imo). There is also Zend Studio.

2. No, just install apache and php on your computer. There are install packages out there that include apache, php and mysql, just don't remember where. Hopefully someone that knows where they are at can post the link.

Oh, by the way, if your using the echo statement it works like this:

<?php
echo "test or whatever";
?>

;)

You can download a package called WAMP, just search it in google, or XAMPP. Both the samething but different packages. However if you to do a manual install I would recommend to download Apache2.0.5x (msi package) from httpd.apache.org and PHP5.1.x (zipped package) from php.net use the guide posted above by hostfreak to see how to install these.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.