Company site revamp

redbullmarky

hello all
i've given my company website a complete overhaul recently - just looking for some opinions, generally on the functionality and the layout, etc.

The biggest thing i changed was the 'Job Search' - ok, so maybe not the most necessary use of AJAX, but I think it works well and has sped things up 10fold. I also wrote it using my own template engine, which (although you cant see it) has drastically improved performance, using output buffering/gzip, etc - the home page is little over 2k...

any thoughts appreciated!

[url=http://www.legacyrecruit.com]http://www.legacyrecruit.com[/url]

Ha HA! Finally, you used light colours! This looks pretty good. Three things: First, add some margin at the top of the page, so it doesn't just run up against the top like that, unless it's a key design element (which as far as I can tell, it's not). Second, what's with the table to the right? I don't really see the use for that. And finally, I don't really see the point of that progressbar. I don't even see it, the page loads so fast.

lol yeah - i'm currently in the middle of a pretty huge project which has been well designed, so i've learned a hell of a lot from the designer about colour and whitespace, etc.

- margin at top: noted. agree with you on this one.
- still playing around with this one. i've used a couple of tables in the site (as opposed to my normally complete table-based layout), but it was really to keep it nice and contained - was having all sorts of problems when i had it as the layer approach.
- progressbar - ok, maybe its not subtle, but i think something like it is necessary. reason being is from time to time the server will have a 'slow moment' where people click and it would otherwise appear to be doing nothing. maybe an overkill having it like this and not something smaller, but the difference without it when the server has a 'slow moment' is quite major.

cheers for your comments though - much appreciated.

Mark

Looks fine in all 'good' browsers.  IE on a PC has different ideas.  The bottom border of the tabs is visible; the menu doesn't make it all the way to the right edge; the form content is vertically displaced in the space.

http://www.digitalmidget.com/temp/legacy-site.gif

[quote author=AndyB link=topic=102591.msg407426#msg407426 date=1154456112]
Looks fine in all 'good' browsers.  IE on a PC has different ideas.  The bottom border of the tabs is visible; the menu doesn't make it all the way to the right edge; the form content is vertically displaced in the space.

http://www.digitalmidget.com/temp/legacy-site.gif
[/quote]

hmm thats odd. i have IE7 beta on the PC so overlooked this one, and can't find a way to load up IE6 now 7 is installed. FF (mac+pc), Safari (mac), Opera (both), all work fine as you say - just seems to be the prob you pointed out. thanks andy - i'll sort it.

cheers
Mark

I don't know... I kinda like the login tab colored different... it's a completely different function.  If you were to do anything there, I'd move the login to somewhere else, but I think it's different and kinda nice as-is.

yeah i kinda like it the way it is too. i purposely wanted to keep it seperate to the other tabs, but also at the same time i wanted it up there having the same importance.

just for the purposes of trying to sort out problems that andy b pointed out (with IE6), can you let me know what browser you're using if you make any critique about whitespace, etc. i think i've nailed a few, but i'm really having all sorts of problems with two issues in particular:

1) the big space on the 'quick search' panel on the home page (IE6). this appears perfectly on other browsers.
2) possibly one of the weirdest problems is on the 'contact' page. the background behind the form fields should be blue with a border, just like the other forms. directly before my <div> tag, i have a [nobbc]<br />[/nobbc] tag - when i remove this [nobbc]<br />[/nobbc] tag, the <div> regains its proper colour - but the 'Your name' text totally disappears.

if anyone can offer help on particularly the above two, that would be most appreciated.

jcombs - yeah the logo is bland. i guess it's kinda stuck after my inital attemps, and as people are kind of aware of it and recognise it, its quite hard to just change it.

ober/stevie - good call about the grad for the background - after critique offered on one of my other sites about a background, and the improvement it gave, its definitely worth a shot.

cheers
Mark

[quote author=ober link=topic=102591.msg407559#msg407559 date=1154466149]
I edited your post to show the tag you were talking about...

And if you look at the source, the tag shows up as "<br" and that's it, right before the opening div.
[/quote]

sure - i was playing around with that and forgot to save it, but the problem was there before and is still there now i've corrected the tag. very weird behaviour.

[b]edit:[/b] and weirder still - if i remove the 'border-left' style property from the containing div, the blue div comes back as it should.

[b]edit2:[/b]: sorted - answers on a postcard please - what is it about IE 6 that required me to explicity put in "position: relative" ? same sort of messing around also solved the problem on the homepage, albeit with a bit of extra space here and there.

I can't test with IE anything at home as I have inadvertently 'created' a version of IE that refuses to use any styles and refuses all my efforts to make it work (diddling with the registry, googling my brains out for a month), so I'm going to guess you fixed the IE6 oddity ... particularly as I used IE6 form work and it looked fine later in the day.

Whatever ... nice job!

thanks andy - yeah i got it fixed i think. there are still things that look better on FF/Opera, etc, but the problem in most cases seemed to be the way IE handles floating divs. if someone can clear this up, that'd be great. other fixes (top nav and gap on right of page) were fixed with a seperate, IE6 only stylesheet - margin problems.

cheers
Mark

[quote author=jcombs_31 link=topic=102591.msg407697#msg407697 date=1154476445]
Andy, are you running XP? [/quote]

Win2K Pro on this box.  Strangely, there a registry entry for 'use style sheet' which appears to have no effect whatever I do to it.  Since I haven't used IE in the 3+ months since I blew it up, I might just as well remove it and try a new, improved, downloaded version (it couldn't be any worse:))

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.