PHP & SQL help

martinhynd

I'm "helping" a friend make a lot of changes to a website which is full of PHP and has a SQL database. I'm out of my depth here but learning fast. Everything is working now except one thing...the thing I thought would be most simple.

What I am trying to to in a PHP file is to read an entry from a database, compare what comes back to a set value and, depending if it matches that value or is different, go to one page or another.

In basic language:

look at database and get result
if result = value
then
go to page 1
else
go to page 2

The code I have in the PHP file at the moment is:

$conn=mysql_connect(DB_SERVER,DB_SERVER_USERNAME,DB_SERVER_PASSWORD);
mysql_select_db(DB_DATABASE) or die("database not available");

$sql="select question from DATABASE where usernumber='$uname'";
$res=mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
if(mysql_result($res) == Premier)
{
header("Location: thispage.htm");
}
else
{
header("Location: thatpage.htm");
exit();
}

When it says Premier that is the value I am looking for from the database...simply the word Premier. That value is definitely in the database. I've tried it with and without quotes ... with = and == ... etc ... and I've run out of ideas.

Can someone put me out of my misery?

I'm not exactly sure what Premier is.. is this a variable? If not, it needs to be in quotation marks..

Otherwise, I'd recommend doing  extract($res); right after the $res=.... line.
This will take the result, and the column names will become variable names, so you can just check the condition of $usernumber against something for that if statement.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.