E-commerce question

diar33

Hi guys,

I realize there are a lot of resources out there, but I would like to know some of your opinions on the best way to go about my problem. I need to process credit card information, but I will only be selling one thing, really just a membership to the site I'm working on. I would really like to keep everything looking professional and uniform with the rest of my site, so I don't like the idea of going with the paypal button and kicking them off my site to login. What is the best way to process the cc info, put a timestamp in a mySQL database, and keep it all looking nice and maintaining security?

Thanks in advance,

T Valdes

you need a "SSL" (secure socket layer) to allow sensitive info to be passed to you. it's really a good idea to use a payment gateway rather than do it yourself. That does NOT mean kicking them off your site (necessarily). I once heard something about a command called CURL, which sends the info the user input, but not the user him/herself, but where that went I have no idea. I'll be watching this post for (hopefully) some more info on that.

I'd agree with gerkin. From the point of view of a consumer, If I'm going to pay for a site, I'd rather do it through a name (like paypal) that I know. I've paid for services through random sites through paypal before, and I would think twice before giving my credit card # (no matter how secure it looks) to some site I know little about.

Just my two cents :)

I have found out that paypal, verisign and 2checkout.com have ways to do the processing and all that fun stuff with the forms inside your own layout, still showing their logos to give the sense of security. To do this using Paypal it's a service they call Website Payments Pro, rather than their standard version. What I'm really looking for is how people have managed memberships, what type of merchant account is best for that, and what kinds of tutorials and existing scripts there are for this kind of thing.

Thanks again,

TValdes

Apply for the PayPal Pro setup. Instead of going to the PayPal site during the transaction the entire thing is done on your site and they never know about PayPal. The Pro setup also comes with a virtual terminal so you can manually run transactions as well.

Ok, PayPal sounds great.

Do you know how I would go about handling memberships with paypal? I would like it to stick a timestamp in a mySQL database, and maybe their subscription length also when they check out. Does the paypal API have anything for that kind of stuff built in?

Thanks a lot,

TValdes

what you want sounds like getting a response from paypal and input something into your database. i'm not sure about paypal, but for verisign you get a profileid from them once the payment is approved. then you can save the id into your database and use it to inquire about a transaction status, cancel a recurring payment, etc.

[quote author=diar33 link=topic=102598.msg407425#msg407425 date=1154456059]
What I'm really looking for is how people have managed memberships, what type of merchant account is best for that, and what kinds of tutorials and existing scripts there are for this kind of thing.
[/quote]
Well, I wrote my own shopping cart system, which is similar to the one at http://www.magic2k.com/shop but includes shopping cart facilities (not complete yet... doing it for a client, so best not give the url yet).

It gives membership discounts direct from the site's member's database. Is this what you mean?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.