Kodiak Bear vs Polar Bear

nrg_alpha

Which one would win in a close quarter deathmatch between the Kodiak and the Polar Bear?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would win in a close quarter deathmatch between the Kodiak and the Polar Bear?

• Kodiac Bear
    • Polar Bear
    • Draw

Ok, so this topic has resurfaced a few times in past discussions between myself and some friends. There is some confusion as to which is larger / stronger to begin with (my understanding is the Polar Bear edges out the Kodiak in overall size, as in they are taller yet more slender than a Kodiak, thus the Kodiak has more mass, but is shorter).

So I'm not sure about which one has the advantage of raw sharp clawed, bitch-slapping paw power and pure bite (though I wouldn't want to be hit / bitten by either one).

In your opinion, if you were at some kind of 'Animal Fight Club' and was to witness a reasonably close quartered fight (in other words, room to maneuver, but cannot escape), mano-a-mano, paw-to-paw and tooth-to-tooth death match, which would would you wager would win between a Kodiak Bear and a Polar Bear? (we'll say for argument's sake that they are both full grown adults and 'in their prime' as far as age, strength and agility is concerned).

*Rings the bell - Let's get it on!*

Funny you should mention that link (and it makes sense what it mentions).. on the same site, I came across this page. But I can't help but feel for rooting for the Polar Bear.

EDIT - Screw it.. I went for the Polar Bear. I mean, if I don't stick up for those lovable white cuddlies, who will? Damn us humans for global warming, hunting and all that! Those poor bears deserve a better existence... so instead of throwing in a Kodiak into the pit with the Polar bear, I should just shove in some politicians, hunters (without weapons) and such.

You should have thrown the Grizzly Bear in the mix.  I mean look at their advantages:

5. Grizzly bears have been known to fight off polar bears from their feeding areas.

6. The grizzly bear has more power to strike a blow than does a polar bear.

7. The polar bear overheats extremely quickly and would find it difficult to fight for a long time.

8. Compared to a polar bear, it has stronger jaws.

Even though the Polar Bear is bigger, I think the Grizzly would take it out.  It's like fighting a 300 lb. fat kid who gasses in less than a minute, render him useless.  I vote for the Kodiak.

I think in that article, the Kodiak and all the other brown bears are lumped into 'Grizzly Bears', a generalized category (at least that's how I understand it). If the Kodiak is the biggest and strongest of the brown bear family, then I would assume it is more powerful than an actual Grizzly Bear I would think.

According to this site;

Kodiak bears are not grizzly bears, the name “grizzly” comes from the silver tipped hairs these bears get, as they grow older. In comparison, the grizzly is considerably smaller than both the coastal brown bear and the Kodiak brown bear. This size difference is due to the abundance of food available in coastal areas and on Kodiak Island.

The Kodiak bear has been isolated to Kodiak Island for some 12,000 years. The bone structure of the Kodiak is much larger than other brown bears, they have a more diverse social structure than other bears due to the close proximity in which they live and they have a gene pool that is much smaller than that of other bears.

FYI: The Kodiak brown bear is the world’s largest bear while the polar bear being a direct descendent of the brown bear (200,000 years) is the world’s heaviest bear. Polar bears have been reclassified as marine mammals due to the amount of time these bears spend in the water.

And the winner gets to fight a Puggle Dog  8)

I don't think 'fight' would be the best word, maybe swallow whole?  Sorry Pug, but I'm sure you would serve as a delicious hors ‘d orderve.

What the heck? A puggle? A pug is way better! Look at my avatar!

Anyways...Since no one is being PC about this...

You people are brutual animal abusers! We should not talk about such terrible actions between animals! It is animal cruelty and wrong!  :'(

What the heck? A puggle? A pug is way better! Look at my avatar!

Anyways...Since no one is being PC about this...

You people are brutual animal abusers! We should not talk about such terrible actions between animals! It is animal cruelty and wrong!  :'(

lol Don't worry.. you get your shot at revenge between who ever wins (puggles or which ever bear from the first round). But no weapons or anything though.. I'm not giving any animals any weapons, so none for you either... Hand to paw combat.. I mean, c'mon.. let's fight fair. This is your shot at redemption!  8)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.