TV suggestions

Maq

So I'm moving soon and wanted to buy a nice TV for my new place.  The specs I'm looking for:

• 42" - 46"
  • LCD
  • >=120Hz
  • I'm trying to spend less than $1,000 but am willing to spend the extra money for a bigger screensize and/or higher quality.

Some of my considerations so far:

Philips 42" 120Hz ($879)

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Televisions/productdetail.aspx?&sku=A2501425&s=dhs

LG 42" 1080p 120hz LCD HDTV w/ Super Slim 1.8" - 42LGX ($999.99 Free Shipping)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-SlickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16889005050

Sharp LC46E77U 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV, Black ($1,169.89)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001RCTA38/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Toshiba REGZA Cinema Series 46XV545U 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV ($1,099.97)

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-REGZA-Cinema-46XV545U-46-Inch/dp/B001EDXPO0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_2_txt?pf_rd_p=304485601&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-2&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00140U136&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1AP4DS9GZMNNEGQ0R786

I'm really not sure of the quality for each brand and all the reviews are so mixed.  Suggestions or comments?

Where is this going & what are you using it for?  If you have a blacked out dedicated room for it, and it's mostly for movies, plasmas are cheaper & get you a better picture and way higher refresh rate.

This is going to be a family room TV.  Used for watching a lot of digital cable, video games (which is why I want the higher refresh rate), and some movies.

Personally, if I were going to get one of the 42" ones, I would get the Pilips one, and if I were going to get one of those 46" ones, I would get the Sharp one.

The two 42" have the same resolution, same max quality (1080p), same viewing angle, so on.

The differences I see:

-The Sharp has a 2ms response time; the LG has a 4ms response time.

-The LG has 2 10W speakers, and the Sharp has 4 speakers that total 30W....  So, I can't be sure, but I would imagine the Sharp can get louder, not that it would matter in most cases anyway.

-The Philips has a better dynamic contrast ratio.

So basically it looks to me like the LG is $120 more without any extra features (and worse in the areas listed above).  I also think the Philips looks better.  I don't like the weird lip on the bottom of the LG one.  No idea how LG and Philips compare as brands though.

As for the Sharp and Toshiba:

I just don't like Toshiba as a brand...  Not sure why to be honest.  Just never have liked Toshiba.  Also, it bothers me that less information is available on the Toshiba from amazing than on the Sharp...

I'm sure information could be found elsewhere though.  So, overall on those two, I don't know since I'm too lazy to look up the information :).

Thanks for the comments corbin.

-The Sharp has a 2ms response time; the LG has a 4ms response time.

They both have 4ms response time.

-The LG has 2 10W speakers, and the Sharp has 4 speakers that total 30W....  So, I can't be sure, but I would imagine the Sharp can get louder, not that it would matter in most cases anyway.

I agree.  I'm sure they will both be loud enough for what I'm using it for.  If I was going to pay for sound and media I would just buy a little media center with some speakers.

I also think the Philips looks better.  I don't like the weird lip on the bottom of the LG one.  No idea how LG and Philips compare as brands though.

Me either, I'm not into the lip.  I'm not really concerned with looks as much as price vs quality, but the 1.8" thickness of the LG is nice.

I just don't like Toshiba as a brand...  Not sure why to be honest.  Just never have liked Toshiba.  Also, it bothers me that less information is available on the Toshiba from amazing than on the Sharp...

Good point, but Toshiba has been around for a while.  Not sure that means anything as I have not heard much about Toshiba TV's, well, Toshiba in general.  I'm still stuck...  I think I am going to look around a little longer but I'm thinking I can land a decent deal for Father's Day, I want to pull the trigger soon.

Used for watching a lot of digital cable, video games (which is why I want the higher refresh rate), and some movies.

Video game consoles refresh at 60hz or less.  120hz tv's sometimes have better motion smoothing renders, but that has nothing to do with the refresh rate.

According to the Imaging Science Foundation, a group that consults for home-theater manufacturers and trains professional video calibrators, the most important aspect of picture quality is contrast ratio the second most important is color saturation, and the third is color accuracy.

http://www.cnet.com/hdtv-resolution/

Resolution and refresh rate don't make it to the top 3.  For the best picture at your price point, getting a higher end 60hz LCD panel will be better than a low end 120hz panel.

And on the sound thing, it's the speakers, not the wattage that matters, so you'd have to listen to each one.  Using the same speakers, 50w to 100w is a whole 3db difference.

Don't overlook Samsung.  They have some of the best quality on the market in both product and picture.

i agree - i have yet to be disappointed with a samsung display that i've purchased. granted, i haven't made the leap to a flat TV yet either.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys.  I finally went to the Best Buy in Delaware (tax free) and bought this for $1099.99.

Samsung - 46" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV

Model: LN46B530

I know I could have saved money buying online but I didn't want the hassle of delivery damage and also the 3 year warranty with Best Buy was around $170 for 3 years.

Don't overlook Samsung.  They have some of the best quality on the market in both product and picture.

I've never been disappointed by samsung tv's but I am pretty disappointed with my samsung cell phone right now. 

I've only heard positive feedback from people with Samsung TVs.  Not sure I could say that same with the cellphones.

Has anyone ever gamed on different types of TVs?  For example if you played Call of Duty on an LCD 60Hz vs 120Hz or LCD vs Plasma.  I hope the 60Hz won't lag or ghost that much.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.