old versions of php

jadenrose

There are diferent approaches that produce the same/similar results. For example, a lot of newer code you will see will likely take a more Object Oriented approach (Good thing). My suggestion to you, is you take a look at http://www.php.net and do some reading. Learn the very basics first.

For example, using a series of if/else statements can produce the same result as using switch/case. You can also put the functionality into classes...or maybe functions within classes and use objects to optimize overall performance and ease execution.

The book I am reading covers PHP 4 and 5.  what I am getting lost on is stuff like this:

$this->other stuff here.

That is an example of what is confusing me.

It could very well be that this code is advanced since the book does not go into the advanced aspects of PHP. 

[quote author=jadenrose link=topic=102621.msg407583#msg407583 date=1154468181]
The book I am reading covers PHP 4 and 5.  what I am getting lost on is stuff like this:

$this->other stuff here.

That is an example of what is confusing me.

It could very well be that this code is advanced since the book does not go into the advanced aspects of PHP. 
[/quote]

[CODE]<?php

class foo {

function bar() {

$this->variable = 'value';

}
}

?>[/CODE]

Is something used within classes. I suggest before trying to figure out the small components, you first figure out what a class is, does, and then break it down. I'm sure your book covers it.

yeah the code is object oriented.. which isn't too "advance" but a bit harder and confusing for newcomers. you may want to read up on object oriented programming and php classes. it might be in the later chapters of the book if it covers php5.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.