[SOLVED] Revenue idea for phpfreaks (The first one)

Users can deposit money into thier phpfreak account from paypal, then have a mod under each post that enables users to donate money to other members who have solved thier issues - something like a dropdown with 50c increments.

Phpfreaks will automatically take 20% of all money transfered.

Scriptlance has a similar feature where they charge both programmers and buyers $5 each for a job posting

Doing it this way gives the user the choice of donating , and most will be happy to dump a few shillings if they have a deposit within their phpfreaks account already there it will be a convenient way of donating -- this is the key

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope.  This is a help community based on the donation of time, not money.  Besides, I think, and I think the rest of the staff will agree with me, that our community works well and that type of incentive would only work to undermine that current spirit of help.  Because then you would have every poster with 5 min of PHP under their belt posting answers to questions hoping to get some kind of kick-back.

Besides, PHPFreaks already takes donations and people rarely contribute to that, so what would make them more willing to contribute to a complete stranger?

You want a community where you pay for answers?  Go to ExpertExchange or some other crappy website like that.

Although, selling phpfreak merchandise (cool stuff, not that ancient crap on that one site) would be cool.  But the money from it would not be the primary goal; the goal would be to just provide cool shit for the community (but it would still cost money, because I'm not interested in paying for your coffee mug).

We've polled the community in the past though and there wasn't enough interest to move forward on it.  So I don't see the point.  I mean really... you want a shirt that has "phpfreaks" on it?  That's a little... I dunno... nerdy.

To be honest, while I like this place and all, I wouldn't wear PHP Freaks clothes.

I'd wear some undies.

i would wear a fanny pack. and ONLY a fanny pack ;)

Hahaha, I'm sure the ladies would love the 'old guy at Disneyland look'.

Okay so I don't think I'd wear a phpfreak shirt.  But I'd use a phpfreak coffee mug or mouspad.  Maybe even plaster a sticker on my laptop.  Hang a poster in my room of the staff members, drawn chibi-style, for sure. Bauble-heads! Dude, you know you'd dig a bauble-head.

What about a nice large PHP Freak posters containing some hawtt, bodacious nude chick holding a widescreen laptop to barely cover their breasts while a dangling mouse covers her (well, you get the idea) with a slogan like 'Go ahead, learn to code something sexy, freak!' ? (or something to that affect - Ok, I'm bad with copy...)

Nrg_alpha, I think I liked the clothes advertisment idea is better. Seriously, I think a poster with some nerdy guy with glasses saying "Hey, I made a million dollars through PHP!!!" would be better or something.

Nrg_alpha, I think I liked the clothes advertisment idea is better. Seriously, I think a poster with some nerdy guy with glasses saying "Hey, I made a million dollars through PHP!!!" would be better or something.

Oh that suggestion of mine was pure hogwash... I was just fooling around.. perhaps this will work better:

<joke>

What about a nice large PHP Freak posters containing some hawtt, bodacious nude chick holding a widescreen laptop to barely cover their breasts while a dangling mouse covers her (well, you get the idea) with a slogan like 'Go ahead, learn to code something sexy, freak!' ? (or something to that affect - Ok, I'm bad with copy...)

</joke>  8)