[SOLVED] Revenue idea for phpfreaks (The first one)

Nrg_alpha, ha...ha...? I really hope that was a joke. Have you seen what CV looks like!?

Anyways we gotta market to the people we are selling to. Since we are selling to PHPFreakers we need something they would want. What do we want?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what we can do for you, CV! A poster that shows you, fully clothed, with a measuring tape around you and saying "My waist size went down 8 inches because PHP addicted me away from food!!!".

Hmm.. your copy is about as good as mine  :-X

I reek of marketability.  I'm hotter than frank's red hot sauce.

Dude.. those Frank's red hot sauce commercials are rediculous (never tried the actual sauce though)... I was actually warming up the possibility of you in the poster (with the dangling mouse covering your dongle and what not).. but after you mentioned Frank's, all I can think of is the guy 'passionately' barbecueing, and as a result...

How about we combine the ideas!

Hot-bodacious chicks being covered by laptops/superimposed source code up front, while in the back, dark, corner it shows a PHP programmer coding away with some the code drifting off screen towards the chick (blending it with the code covering her sexy spots).  That way we can be stereotypically realistic.

I don't advertise being a programmer lol, I'm only ashamed as so far as when people assume the stereotypes without pursuing further information.  ie: most of the "normal" people in the world.  Being a geek is getting more popular, but not that popular yet.

You know, in all seriousness, upon stumbling on this thread (and related to what I posted in that thread), perhaps a similar idea could be applied for PHP Freaks.. a kick ass image that is only revealed on chunks of pixel grid spaced squares 'purchased' (which could be tied into purchasing through your account profile - 1 month or yearly rates gets you an x amount of image pixel space divulged in small or small-medium chunks respectively).

The image (be it digitally painted or a real image) could contain enough interesting detail everywhere that people are curious enough to want to see what the whole image looks like (and thus might drive more membership financial donations to reveal more of the image as purchases are made). I guess the hassle would be building the entire system to drive all this though (there's always a catch, isn't there?)

• 4 weeks later...

Although, selling phpfreak merchandise (cool stuff, not that ancient crap on that one site) would be cool.  But the money from it would not be the primary goal; the goal would be to just provide cool shit for the community (but it would still cost money, because I'm not interested in paying for your coffee mug).

I'd buy a cool phpfreaks t-shirt.

• 2 weeks later...

I got an idea for the revenue, why dnt al staff as a team write a very interesting phpfreaks ebook whch would cary thngs from basics to advance in a very easy way unlike the books available over the net. And also book would have phpfreaks tags n people wil for sure buy bøöks fröm hèré.

I got an idea for the revenue, why dnt al staff as a team write a very interesting phpfreaks ebook whch would cary thngs from basics to advance in a very easy way unlike the books available over the net. And also book would have phpfreaks tags n people wil for sure buy bøöks fröm hèré.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ATH=Eric+Rosebrock

There are your books :)

Kind of goes against the concept of free knowledge sharing that we are operating with though.

Again, we're not in this for the money. We just want to cover our expenses and to my knowledge that is fully accomplished by displaying advertisements.

There used to be a "have you been helped?" type of thread stickied in the php help forum that asked for donations and you could also post donations you made.  If memory serves correct, I believe we removed it when we implemented the subscription based phpfreak supporter member group. 

There used to be a "have you been helped?" type of thread stickied in the php help forum that asked for donations and you could also post donations you made.  If memory serves correct, I believe we removed it when we implemented the subscription based phpfreak supporter member group.

I never even knew they had a subscription type thing. How would one subscribe? I'd imagine not too many people subscribed though or even not that many people even knew such a feature existed!  :shrug: