mysql_connect fails from cmd line but works through browser

upuaut

I'm a little confounded. I have a simple script with a mysql_connect() call.
On command line
>> php script.php

I get
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.0.6
Content-type: text/html

<br>
<b>Fatal error</b>:  Call to undefined function:  mysql_connect() in <b>/home/somepath/lib/opendb.php</b> on line <b>2</b><br>

and the script doesn't make any database changes.

if I try from a browser
http://somesite.com/script.php

I get the expected output, and I get back data from tables the script uses and the tables that are expected to update some value do get updated.

I created a scrip with phpinfo() in it, I get few mysql entries. I'm sure the connection to db is working since i can read/update tables.

what gives? running on linux, php4.0.6, mysql 3.x

thanks

[quote author=upuaut link=topic=102646.msg407822#msg407822 date=1154497077]
Yes.
[/quote]
Walla! is this possible! i wanna have such a computer too!, sorry i was not trying to insult, just really too much surprised. i don't think its possible at all, even try re-installing to contacting the MySQL bug report.

[quote author=upuaut link=topic=102646.msg407838#msg407838 date=1154497854]
sorry, turns out i'm running mysql 4.0.24-standard
[/quote]
i really have no idea what's happening. Then why do you ahve to use it from prompt, can't you just use the script?

I tested it at the prompt becuase the output from the browser has 2 empty lines - probably 2 nulls -  at the top (before I print any statement), and because I use the output as input to a javascript function.. which is making the behaviour intermittent.

regardless, it's baffling me why the script works through the browser, but generates the mentioned error on command line. I'm wondering, what's the plumbing difference between the two?

thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.