BEATING MY BRAINS OUT OVER THIS

solrman

I hope someone can help my thick skull understand this.

I am trying to create a simple series of paragraphs and I can't get the html to make the points bulleted or to even show the points at all.  You can see what the result is at contactmanagersuccess dot com / automaticdoorsolutions / record-automatics.php

Here is the code:  and please help me out with this.  Thanks!

<div class ="lefttext"> 
<p>Record-USA's new 5100 series sliding door offers the very latest in automatic 
door technology to assure the quietest, smoothest performance in a sleek and 
elegant design. Offering a wide breadth of configurations and functions, the 
5100 series assures the architect and building owner a wide array of capabilities
in ensuring the most safe, secure and attractive entranceway available by choosing
from the following options:
<br>

<p>Different Operating Modes</p>

<ul>
  <li>Automatic mode with full opening width</li>
  <li>Automatic mode with reduced opening width</li>
  <li>Automatic mode in one-way (exit only) for traffic control</li>
  <li>Adjustable reduced opening mode</li>
  <li>Continuously open: door opens and remains in open position; either full open or reduced opening width</li>
  <li>Off mode: door can be moved by hand<br>
  </li>
</ul>
</p>
<p>Safety functions</p>
<p>
<ul>
<li>Safety sensors (self-monitoring holding beams) in the clear opening of the door prevent 
	the door from shutting if persons or objects are in the detection zone.</li>
<li>Safety automatic reversing mechanism: if the door leaves are inhibited when closing, they 
	are immediately re-opened (automatic reverse 2-step adjustable). If the door leaves are hindered when opening, they are immediately stopped.<br>
<li>The position of the obstacle is stored and will be slowly approached during the next door movement.<br>
	Even in the case of power failure the emergency fail close or the emergency opening is assured by the optional emergency power options.</li>
<li>Sidelight protection – Additional sensors located above the opening path of the door will slow the opening if a person or object will inhibit the door opening normally.</li>
</ul>
</p>
<p>Options</p>
<p>
<ul>
<li>Emergency battery: in the case of power failure, the optional battery back-up device will
	perform flawlessly (including all sensing devices ) for hours. When the battery’s capacity
	is low the door slides to a pre-determined position (open, shut or locked). In the case of
	continued power failure the shut and locked door can still be opened automatically by a
	key-operated impulse.</li>
<li>Electro-mechanical locking device concealed in the operator casing.</li>
<li>Systems for locking device surveillance and alarm</li>
<li>Door leaf surveillance.</li>
<li>Night control with time switch, key-operated impulse, electronic encoding switch or building services control system.<li>
 <li>Interlock control: Continuous interlock control or only selectable by external contact (key-operated contact or building services control system).</li>
<li>Communication module for data exchange with a higher-level building services control system.</li>
</ul>
</p>
<p>Door closers</p>
<p>
<ul>
<li>Integrated support for hydraulic closers in both SX (slide/swing) and SO (swing sidelite) panels.</li>
<li>Built into the top rail, door closers are available when specified, to ensure the door 
	closes and remains operable after emergency breakout egress.</li>
</p>
<p>Panic Device</p>
<p>
<ul>
<li>Flush panic hardware is available for full-breakout and fixed panel applications
	which will comply with all existing exit codes.</li>
	</ul>
</p>
   </div>
   </div>

EDITED BY akitchin: added code tags - please use code tags in all future posts here.

Well they don't show up for me!  I cannot see them!

Can you give me your suggessted code to make it work?  Are you talking about putting the code in my css file or in the html prior to the list?  What would you suggest I put there?

Thanks,

solrman

This sounds like a CSS problem.

What browser are you using?

If you are using Firefox, install the Firebug Add-On.  You can then drill into the style being applied to the element using "inspect".  It will tell you what CSS is applied and where that CSS is set.

it's not a browser issue.  The issue is my bulleted points on the page are centered and not lined up to the left, yet the paragraph beginning the series is justified.  I am confused on the relationship between the css page and what I am trying to do.  If I use the same code in microsoft frontpage for example, it looks perfect.  However, once I save it in my html editor, and upload it, the page looks very unlike what I want it to look like.

I just need the code to make it work right.  By the way, it does exactly the same in firefox.

Thanks,

solrman

I don't use front page so I can't comment on why it looks different.

However, I would suspect it has something to do with the CSS associated with the class lefttext.

<div class ="lefttext"> 

It is possible that Frontpage is creating a CSS file in the background that also needs to be uploaded to the site.  Check the <head> section for any css files and make sure they are in the correct location.

I am not actually using frontpage to create the page.  I am only using the html editor in frontpage to create the html code for this specific item on the page.  I then copy the html code into another "normal" html editor.

What would be the specific code I need to place in the css to make the paragraph and the bullets line up properly as in an outline?  And where would I put this code on the css page?  Do I create a new division? a new element?  what do I put on the page at or around the code you see in the first post to make iot work correctly? what????

Can anybody help?

Thanks,

solrman

I checked the site: if you're using Firefox, then you have more than just bullet problems. Your page at the bottom is mis-aligned and the blue background doesn't stretch to the bottom of the page.

You should mess with your CSS, and fix those unnecessary tags you have inside your file.

font color="#000000">	
</font><p><font color="#000000">Door closers</font></p>
<font color="#000000">	</font><p>
<font color="#000000">	</font></p><ul>

<font color="#000000">	<li>

Why do you have so many font colors? Change your

body { color: #fff}

to

body { color: #000}

and change the colors as needed. (You don't use white aside from leftcolumn, so just change #leftcolumn color to white instead.) You can also add in a generic

#rightcolumn ul { color:#000;margin-left: 10px}

or however many pixels/size you want so the ul in #rightcolumn will move to the left.

You should clean up the document first, however.

The code is a mess on that page. You are using deprecated tags (center and font), and you are using p tags instead of list tags inside your lists, and sometimes they aren't even lists.

If you fix your code, it will make your other problems easier to solve.

I can't even directly validate your code, because you are using an illegal character in there somewhere:

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fcontactmanagersuccess.com%2Fautomaticdoorsolutions%2Frecord-automatics.php

But when I validate it locally, you have 75 errors. Open tags not closed, illegal tags, stuff like that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.