How do you handle guest tracking?

mmosel

What is your method for tracking guests and returning guests?

I'm working on a system where I will set a unique cookie for each guest (or try to). I'm trying to decide if generating a random string is sufficient or if I should use an auto-increment value. If I use the random string, there there is the ever so slight possibility of a duplicate. If I use an auto-increment, then I'm going to have so many non-used numbers it's not even funny (because every time there's a new hit to the home page I would attempt to insert a cookie, which would be an auto increment value).

So, how do you or how would you handle this?

I store the timestamp of the exact time they first visited along with a random number, this pretty much guarantees a unique number. Beware that some people do not accept cookies and then you need to look at other things to identify them such as IP address, user agent, etc.

Yeah, thanks for that mr. King. :) I was going to go for the random number, but I decided on auto-increment. I already have a full page_logs table, with ip, user_agent, referer, page, etc. But I want to track repeat visits by guests, and then members who aren't logged in, and then of course while they are logged in. I record raw data, and then run a cron job to filter out bots in the auto-increment table. I'm still working out how I'll process some of the data, but that's another story.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.