Help regarding Development environment

idthiru

Hi
all Im new to this forum and ofcourse to PHP development.

I have to develop an e commerce application which would be hosted in a LINUX server with MYSQL APACHE all the lamp technologies.

I have a Development Environment with Windows 2000 pro IIS and have PHP and MYSQL Installed

Is it suitable to develop the desired application with an environment I have or any thing else has to be done??

Also suggest an IDE to test/debug PHP web applications.

Is there anything similar or nearest to M/S Vis.Stud.NET2003 IDE for PHP files?
can I develop PHP web application thru M/S Vis.Stud.NET2003 IDE.

Suggest me .........

Please post your kind replies asap.

There are some differences between the two operating system's (win and linux) php installations...mostly in how dates and time and such are handled.  If you are careful, it shouldn't make a difference though.

As far as IDEs are concerned, there are many.  I currently use a combination of Zend Studio and Dreamweaver 8, however I have also used Eclipse, JEdit, devPHP, and textpad, which are free/opensource.  A friend of mine has also been using Aptana recently and he likes it, however I have not used it.  Aptana is also open source I think...though I'm not positive.

I don't think I've ever used dreamweaver's design view, I always use the code view.  I tend to use dreamweaver for simpler things because it's generally faster.  Zend is written using a lot of java (I think) which makes it slower, at least on every computer I've ever used it on. 

I like Zend's ability to show me all of the classes, functions, constants, and files that are linked to the file I'm looking at.  It makes it much easier to find a particular piece of code quickly.  The analyze code function is also helpful sometimes, and when used with the Zend Server stuff, it can tell you an incredible amount of information about your scripts.

If you create your own classes and functions, Zend will also offer the inline help for them...so if I create a function, for example:

[code]function foo($bar1, $bar2) {... }[/code]

When I call foo when I'm coding, Zend will remind me that the function requires $bar1 and $bar2...very helpful when you have a lot of functions.

There're also Maguma Open Studio (they have open source and paid versions), PHP Designer, and Vim (VI Improved, comes with most linux systems).

I also use Dreamweaver. Never tried Zend, but saw somebody used it. Seems very cool. Tried Maguma a bit, but never really touched it a lot because the FTP support in Dreamweaver is much better.

For coloring brackets, Maguma has this support. Whenever you close a bracket, it will align itself with the open bracket.

[quote author=onlyican link=topic=102680.msg408582#msg408582 date=1154571486]
cool
The main mistake i make is not closing a fing }
I am sure you have been there
Unexpected T End on line 3259

AHH
Anything that colors the brackets to find brackets that are not closed easily?
[/quote]i use dreamweaver it color codes and it has line counting...THANK GOD and i got it for free:)!

I use notepad looks good!

my pesonal option is unless you relly know php relly well then short cuts with php coding programs makes you lazy and defeats the abilty to learn instead all you do  is select the code i think thats bad.

get note pad

I use jEdit, can be a bit slow, does all the functions that you would need and theres loads of plugins for other codeing support, + the ability to make your own plugins, someone needs to do a good one for snippets like dreamweavers. as far as } is concerned, it will match any type of brace by putting the curser next to it.  And the find replace within directory is VERY good, it will open up the files it has changed and hi-light each entry to check before you save the files.  Is opensource.

As I mentioned, I dont like the Drag and Drop systems like Visual Studio, Frontpage ....
I like dreamweaver, becauce on large codes, the color makes it easier to read, and see mistakes.

My argument is, if you build a website using Drag and Drop things, and you are on holiday. You get a call from a client, asking to change something.

you can go into an Internet cafe, edit the file using Cpanel, which comes with most php servers.

Using Drag and Drop, your stuck

My set up.
I have 2 monitors (want to get 3, need cash first)
Left Monitor
Mysql-Front (db's)/ Firefox, set on Localhsot

Right Monitor
Dreamweaver (php) / TopStyle (css)
when working on some scripts, mainly designs.
I add <meta http-equiv='refresh' content='10' /> to the top of the script
This refreshes the page so I can what is happening just by pressing ctrl S

I've been using Homesite since before I ever heard of php. Whenever I try a more php centric IDE I run across something that Homesite does better so I always come running back to it. It seems they've stopped development of Homesite so I suppose I better keep looking .

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.