Apache server???

masgas

Hi, I am considering removing my web from my paid host and hosting it in my own pc. I am not sure if this is an absolutely crazy idea, and shoul stick with my paid domain or change.... As you could tell I don't know much about web servers and their features. So, the questions are:

Can you put a semi comercial web in a pc at home with apache, or is it a crazy idea?

Do you know any articles to improve my knowledge about servers and their features?

thank you in advance!

Yes you can host a website of your home PC with Apache. However the PC you host it off must have be good a spec CPU/Memory wise a fast internet connection I'd say 10Mbps+, you'll need to have a static IP address and you'll need to allow access to port 80 or forward port 80 fromyour router - if you have one. Then you'll need to get DNS settings to point to your computers IP addy and then you can assign a domain name to your DNS settings.

Thats how it basically works. If you dont have a static IP and have a dynamic IP then you'll need rent a static IP addy from your ISP, if they provide them, or from somewhere else.

NOTE: I am not an expert at this, but is roughly what you'll want to do.

I'd recommend you to stay with your current host.

Right! Thank you!

I could use a Pentium IV 3.5 / 1 GB RAM / Apache 2.0 / PHP 5

My inet connection is of 4MB download (150 KB upload! ) though, and my IP is static.

do you know what is the main difference between PCs and paid servers?

I will take your advice for the moment and stay with my paid host, at least untill I learn a bit more about hosting...

Theres not much difference as they are the same except servers can come in many forms and can slot into a rack and connect up to other servers in the same rack to form on huge server. All what a server consists of is basically a mother board and a hard drive which all connects up to one main computer which the data center uses to monitor each server etc. Also data centers tend do be on Gbps (Gigabit per secound) internet speeds.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote author=wildteen88 link=topic=102720.msg408098#msg408098 date=1154529856]
Yes you can host a website of your home PC with Apache. However the PC you host it off must have be good a spec CPU/Memory wise a fast internet connection I'd say 10Mbps+, you'll need to have a static IP address and you'll need to allow access to port 80 or forward port 80 fromyour router - if you have one. Then you'll need to get DNS settings to point to your computers IP addy and then you can assign a domain name to your DNS settings.

Thats how it basically works. If you dont have a static IP and have a dynamic IP then you'll need rent a static IP addy from your ISP, if they provide them, or from somewhere else.

NOTE: I am not an expert at this, but is roughly what you'll want to do.

I'd recommend you to stay with your current host.
[/quote]

To run DNS you [b] must have[/b] two static ip's

[quote author=youcantoo link=topic=102720.msg414248#msg414248 date=1155338396]
To run DNS you [b] must have[/b] two static ip's
[/quote]

No you do not. I have one static Ip and am using ISC Bind. You do not have to have a master and a slave dns server. It is best to do so but it is not required.

@magas

here is a great link on setting up a server on a dsl/cable line http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/sbs-creating-a-mixed-static-dynamic-LAN-IP-network.html

Check it out. It should give you a few good pointers. If you should need some help with ISC Bind, I will be glad to help.

Good Luck,
Tom

Also you can host a site without a static ip, if you use a dynamic dns service like zone edit or dollar dns.
Wild teen is right in that you should stick with you current host. Because if you do not know what you are doing (security wise) your server can become owned.

I use my servers at home for testing purposes. I have a two colocated servers with a data center for commercial use. 

I suggest that you stick with your hosting company because your site will have alot more down time at home then it would at a datacenter.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote author=masgas link=topic=102720.msg408113#msg408113 date=1154530400]
My inet connection is of 4MB download (150 KB upload! ) though, and my IP is static.
[/quote]

Remember of course that that's a 4MB/s download speed and 150KB/s speed for YOU. For someone accessing pages off your server, their maximum DOWNload speed is going to be 150KB/s if they're the only person connecting to the site, and it would only take three people to request pages at the same time for your site to load as though they were on dial-up (56KB/s)! Their UPload speed would be a share of the 4MB/s...

Just a thought!

Al

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.