MythScape

Cetanu

Margin: Okay, I fixed it; better?  :D

Header: I know, I have to find time to make a new banner because that one was meant for something else. I don't like its dimensions either.

I would also use some colour to define the modules. As the whole container is that brown colour then the text just seems to flow all over the page i.e. Can't really define the area to login on first glance, Do I start reading the text under 'about us' and then continue reading below the image in the centre (kind of like a newspaper article). It seems that the text on the site is just continous. Do you get what I mean?

So it's like the whole middle area is just one color, but there should be definition between content and the sidebar? I'll look into borders or different background color.

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking into my design and trying to see what I could do to make it nicer, sleeker, maybe a little more Web 2.0, but looking at it sort of makes me overload with ideas and I dunno what to do.

What does anyone here think could be done (I am try to change color scheme and the layout).

• 2 weeks later...

In the tutorial section for php.  The "practice" link doesn't work.

Also, just my opinion, I think you are using target _blank too much.  Just going through the whole site I have like 10 windows of your site on my computer at once.  As a user this becomes distracting and irritating.  ;D

In the tutorial section for php.  The "practice" link doesn't work.

Also, just my opinion, I think you are using target _blank too much.  Just going through the whole site I have like 10 windows of your site on my computer at once.  As a user this becomes distracting and irritating.  ;D

The "practice" link doesn't work because I've run out of time and couldn't finish that section. :P

Also, I tried to use _blank for things when I didn't want to redirect them from my site. I could change a few of them, but links to outbound sites will always be _blank and I think I tried to use it on the HTML tutorial and the PHP tutorial so they could just view that or close it and still be on the site.  ::):D I tried to keep them on the site, but I suppose if someone really wants to open 10 different windows and gets irritated I can change it just for them. ;)

I'm sure it has been mentioned before...but the text actually hurts my eyes. It needs to be white, to be readable.

Also, the sidebar on the main page is horrible. The 'About Us' has got that greyish bar for the title and then is has a brown background and dashed border for the text below...it doesn't go together. Get rid of the 'About Us' text background, put that in the box with the dashed border, but still make the title 'About Us' white and bigger than the below text.

You could maybe have the brown box with dashed border for all of the things on your sidebar. The login could do with a bit of re-doing, as the 'You are not logged in' text is useless as if you are displaying the login form it is clear to the user they are not logged in. You could also move the 'Register Here' to where the 'You are not logged in' text is and replace it with 'Not got an account? Register here!'. It would be more useful to any visitor instead of them seeeing they are not logged in, trying to login with some random account...and then seeing the 'Register here' below the form.

The spacing is not very good across the page...it needs to be worked on to achieve some sort of consistent spacing.

The three paragraphs on the front page could have been done a bit better. I say this as you could put a title of each one at the top of each paragraph, such as 'Cryptozoology' at the top of the 'Cryptozoology' page...and then make the titles something like 20-22pt. Which then opens up a possibility of having a small square image floated to the right of the title text, that gives a little picture of something that relates to it, and make both of these links to the Cryptozoology page. The spacing for the paragraphs also need to be worked out. When I first viewed the page, I thought that the 'Cryptozoology' main page link was for the paragraph below it as there was no clear indication that it was for the paragraph above except for the name of the link.

The navigation 'hover' and 'active' state could be changed to the colour of the header background...to match it to make it look more natural.

Also, you could research how typography is important to a websites design, as I see you only use about 1 font for the whole website. A good website should use about 2 or possibly three different fonts. One for headings, one for body text and one for navigation.

I hope this has helped you out.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.