What Guard Dog(s) to get?

tibberous

I want to get a dog, or a few dogs - mainly as pets, but also to guard my house. I want to get a breed that is going to be healthy and somewhat smart.

I am thinking either:

caucasian ovcharka (expensive) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_Ovcharka

south russian ovcharka (hard to find) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Russian_Ovcharka

rotweiller (not overly health)

komondor (hard to clean) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komondor

bullmastiff

sharplaninac

I was thinking to get a couple dogs so they could play together. I was also thinking about getting them from a shelter, but something like a sharplaninac or komondor would almost have to be purchased from a breeder.

Any recommendations?

Hrmmm wow....  I didn't know people actually had guard dogs lol.  Well, I knew a woman with guard dogs once...  She had 4 (ish... 3-5 somewhere in  there... dunno) German shepherds lol.

Anyway, I don't know about personality/loyalty/chance of attacking random person on the street/chance of attacking your children's friends/so on, but I think the first and the last dog look the least ridiculous.

Or the most vicious of them all, a Pug.

Ever heard of the story where a pug gets in a necklock with a pitbull? The owner of the pitbull tried to pull the pug off the pitbull, but unfortunately when he did that...The pug attacked and ended the life of a poor civilian owner of a pitbull owner. *

* This story may be factual or a bunch of shenanigans.

Dogs are really only scary if you have more than one.  A determined and unarmed invader / attacker could get through one dog but probably not two.  Some people say pit bulls are good guard dogs, but I just don't see how with how short they are. 

By far the best dogs my family ever owned growing up were a pair of rottweilers.  They were easily the most obedient and calm dogs of any we owned.  They are protective as well and their size puts them at small enough to be controllable by their owner and large enough to be a deterrent.

Lastly, don't go hanging any "Beware of Dog" signs around your property or vehicles.

What I'm afraid of is that the dogs won't attack if I'm not there. I have no idea how to train a dog to attack people without me being around.

Well ..... do you really want a dog to attack someone when you are not around. What if a dog attacks anyone that is not you. Imagine you have a kid over or someone that is really dear to you. However the dog just see that person as a trespasser and attack that person. Could you live with that?

What I'm afraid of is that the dogs won't attack if I'm not there. I have no idea how to train a dog to attack people without me being around.

I thought you wanted a watch dog...?  If you want it to attack then get a pit bull, juice it up, mix gun powder in its food, and beat the shit out of him once in a while, that should do the trick.

I think you're better off with a security system than a dog.

By the way tibberous, this is a kind of personal question, but do you live in a crappy neighborhood?  Or are you super rich?  Or are you just paranoid?

Well ..... do you really want a dog to attack someone when you are not around. What if a dog attacks anyone that is not you. Imagine you have a kid over or someone that is really dear to you. However the dog just see that person as a trespasser and attack that person. Could you live with that?

I would imagine the dog would be inside of his house, and I would imagine his family/friends would know about it.

I have heard multiple stories about dogs being mistaken about a situation though.  The only one I've directly heard though involved a friend of mine.  She was at her boyfriend's house and they were wrestling around (at least that's what she said they were doing haha), and the dog thought they were really fighting....  She had to go to the hospital for stitches from the bite >.<.  I think it was either a pittbull or a rottweiler...  Don't remember.

If you want it to attack then get a pit bull, juice it up, mix gun powder in its food, and beat the shit out of him once in a while, that should do the trick.

lol Maq, you should open up a dog training school. Call it 'Maq-Daddy's School of Death Dogs'

• 2 weeks later...

I thought you wanted a watch dog...?  If you want it to attack then get a pit bull, juice it up, mix gun powder in its food, and beat the shit out of him once in a while, that should do the trick.

lmfao! lol, i just had to reply, I agree nrg_alpha

I recomend a doberman.

dobie.jpg

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.