advice for my future in coding

Northern Flame

i used 2 be really active on this website but about a year ago i joined the army,

lately i have been thinking about my future after the army and thought about going

to college and studying some programming languages, but my only problem is that

im not sure which language would help me out the most career wise. I am already

proficient in HTML, CSS, Javascript, and PHP/AJAX. Im thinking about studying

languages like C & C++ or maybe even asp.net or pearl. any ideas as to which would

benefit me the most?

It really plans on what you are going to do. You haven't given us any preferences or anything as PHP is a server side language where c++ is a client language.

Different people have different needs and we don't know what type of person you are.

I personally would go for C++, Python, Pearl or Java as they are more advanced than the languages I already know and from the C++ tutorials I have read, it teaches you alot more about how computers work - due to the use of pointers and the power which the language gives to the programmer, such as memory allocation, both in RAM and on the heap. This way you must learn good practice programming from start to finish (if they want their system left intact).

As you have probably noticed I would personally choose C++, but as Pug said, it's really down to what YOU want to learn. Find what courses are available and do a little research into each language, its syntax and its capability and make an informed decision. =p 

yea i probably should have mentioned that haha. well i do enjoy doing server side coding that is why i mentioned asp.net

i know i would probably have to go to school for that since i cant find any good  tutorials for that online. i guess what i was

wondering was what which would benefit me more, which language is there a greater need for out in the job market. I do know

that a asp.net programmer would make a lot more than a php programmer would make, but are languages like C & C++ in greater

demand?

As far as ASP.net VS PHP goes, the vast majority of websites use PHP where ASP.net has a very, very, small fraction. Nearly every site you go to will be in PHP. (Some that are not in PHP, MSN.com (ASP), Google.com (Not in ASP though) )

ASP.net also has the penalty of being a microsoft product and not being free BUT to say to that same level, gives ASP.net credibility as it is a microsoft product and some people will only take microsoft.

But as far as C++ goes and things related, demand as in overall demand over the entire world? I would think so.

CV, I do personally know people who will only take things made by microsoft (EDIT: Not made by microsoft, but software that was created from a microsoft program.).

What exactly are you angry about then? We can come to a conclusion. Or are you talking about that most websites are running php is what you are angry about?

Or are you just commenting on my English? I'll agree on that point that I'm not too good with it.

Oops, I spoiled something? I thought my post would want you to argue and make me look bad? Isn't that what you wanted?

EDIT: Oops, I see another error I made. Asp/asp.net doesn't cost anything and the offical microsoft website is giving out the downloads. Lets see what else I did wrong...

C is ok, but won't get you the OOP perspective.  Java may be better for that but I'm not the biggest fan of Java.  There are an increasing amount of jobs for Java developers, however.

If you're going by what the market wants, I'd say learn C# before ASP.NET.  You can attain the basic same goals with C# and probably weasel your way into an ASP.NET job if you know C#. 

And as mentioned by others, some companies stick with MS products because of the name and because the people running the servers don't know much about OS products.  These are the same idiots that only know Windows Server administration and know jack shit about Linux server administration.

Thank god I finally have my company's IT company coming around to the "dark side".  At least it's better than having a half-baked solution as opposed to my last job (Windows Server, IIS, PHP, Perl, and MSSQL). 

Honestly though, once you have a few languages and the principles down, switching to another language is just basic syntax.

I don't think it's so much that it's because it says "Microsoft" on the label as that they already have microsoft stuff and for a lot of companies it is easier for them to stick in a disk and push an upgrade-to-the-next-version button than to migrate over to a completely different system.  That involves significantly more time and money in actual migration and also in training people. 

And not just the IT people.  Have to train all the employees how to work in the new environment, even on a user level.  Learning a new menu system doesn't sound like a big deal to an IT person but to a regular Joe user it is a big deal, like learning a whole new language. 

People like us do things like code forms all day long and think nothing of the actual form content.  Who cares whether the input field is described one way or the other, in this order or that, etc... what does it matter? Use some basic common sense / rudimentary reduction/reasoning and you'll figure it out in like 2 seconds.  Well that's not how average Joe user is.  It's not that they are stupid, it's just that they aren't trained to think that way, so you can't just dump a new system on them and walk away.

Point is, it is not a matter of simply going out and getting the new software and installing it. 

I've always wondered about the cost of running ASP.NET driven sites.  Microsoft has a free IDE/database server combo - Visual Web Developer 2008 Express - which has everything a developer needs to actually write the code.  So, I'm assuming the costs lie on the server.

Anyone know how much IIS servers cost to run, especially compared to Apache?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.