Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dagnasty

MySQL question.

If I have a comment system for each so and so piece of content on my site, and the comments are in a seperate table. If the comment table is set up like :

Comment Table:

pagenumber      user          comment                              commentnumber
34                john          Hey, I like to post comments!    305 (auto increment)

and to get the comments for the page:

select * where pagenumber = '$pagenumber'

Would this be the best method for getting the comments if I expect the comments to get into the hundred-thousands?

I really can't think of any other way.

How many comments do you want to see per user? Do you want to see the last ten?
SELECT top 10,* from (table)
WHERE blah blah

What exactly do you want to see?

comments are going to be paginated on each page, but I'm asking if that's the method people use? The most efficient way?

That is the method I use on one of my sites, [url=http://www.scriptcrawler.net]http://www.scriptcrawler.net[/url].  If you were looking at all the scripts starting with "a" for example, I select them all, then cycle through them picking out the appropriate ones for each page. I compute the first and last item to pull for each page then display it.

My way is a tad complicated though, and I'm not sure if there's a better way.

Alright cool, thanks a lot.

Why don't you set the first letter of the script title as "startswith" in the database at the posting of the script into database, then do

select * where startswith = '$letter' SORT BY title

use LIMIT
[code]SELECT * FROM table LIMIT 0,10[/code]
Show 10 records, starting from row 0.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.