Question about MD5 and Encryption

HoTDaWg

1) is there such a thing as an encryption that cannot be decrypted? :S

No, encryption does by definition have an inverse function. MD5 is not encryption though.

2) the other day i came across this site which can decrypt md5 hashes...

http://md5encryption.com/

wats the point of encrypting to begin with, if it can be decrypted so easily?

No it doesn't. Hashing is by definition not inverse. The people who made that site don't know what they're talking about and should take a basic math course.

See this topic: http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,254277.0.html

I wonder what that site does on hash collisions. Would it just return the first matched row?

I would find it extremely unlikely that there are any collisions in their database. Sites such as those use common words or phrases (and combinations of those) to build thier lookup list. If you calculated the total number of possible hashes you would find that the total number of permutations is much larger than the number of combinations of limited strings on the order of many, many magnitude. Most MD5 reverse lookups use strings that would reasonably be used as a password, i.e. up to 20+ characters). The only examples I have seen where collisions have been proved are using PDF documents with thousands upon thousands of characters in length (in the actual source code, not the PDF displayable content).

That site is just a matter of common passwords stored in a database and can't decrypt anything.

Here is a VERY common and EASY password run through my encryption function which partially uses md5.  Can you tell me what the password is?

d7f778176e7841f7067f92b393f5d0d5

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.