[SOLVED] Zend Framework - n00b installation issue?

deerly

Hi there!

I only recently purchased a virtual dedicated web server and am trying to install zend framework. Unfortunately, all I can seem to find on the Zend website and elsewhere online is that you "extract the files" and are done.

How do I *upload* the framework files to my server's IP? I assume that i shouldn't just use FTP to upload them as I would a normal file? Or should I and if so directly to the IP or for one specific domain or...  ???

Very confused, appreciate any help!

Edit: I'm running a linux server with the latest red hat fedora

all I can seem to find on the Zend website and elsewhere online is that you "extract the files" and are done.

How do I *upload* the framework files to my server's IP? I assume that i shouldn't just use FTP to upload them as I would a normal file? Or should I and if so directly to the IP or for one specific domain or...  ???

Have you tried developing on a localhost using zend framework? If not try I suggest you try that first. Also you might want to look into setting up a virtual host. That was one of the issues I had starting with CakePHP and ZF.

As for installing ZF ,in the ZF download file there should be a batch and shell script included. You can use that to create the startup folder structure and put the files in the right places(the batch is for windows and shell for a *nix based OS). Once you have it running on your local pc it shouldn't be to hard to copy it to your webserver.

The installation procedure is actually quite well written on the ZF site though. http://framework.zend.com/docs/quickstart

I guess I still don't quite understand how to "copy" to webserver. I have WAMP and can install it there but how do I "move" it to the webserver?

For future reference at the very least, I can't seem to find this anywhere!

The "quick start" guide on zend doesn't seem to talk about "copying" it to an actual web server unless I am completely overlooking something.  ???

Thanks very much for your help.

Edit I have Zend Studio -- Eclipse which allows you to create Zend Framework projects and apparently already has the framework installed to use. How can I move these projects (and the framework!) to a webserver  ???

if you have the following structure

|-- application

|  |-- Bootstrap.php

|  |-- configs

|  |  `-- application.ini

|  |-- controllers

|  |  |-- ErrorController.php

|  |  `-- IndexController.php

|  |-- models

|  `-- views

|      |-- helpers

|      `-- scripts

|          |-- error

|          |  `-- error.phtml

|          `-- index

|              `-- index.phtml

|-- library

|-- public

|  `-- index.php

`-- tests

|-- application

|  `-- bootstrap.php

|-- library

|  `-- bootstrap.php

`-- phpunit.xml

Then the public folder is where you usually place your php and html on your webserver as you would if you weren't using a framework. only it has a different name on your webserver probably http

the rest you place outside that folder so it isn't directly accessable. That would be logical.

And guys if I am totally off here please correct me..

Ok, neat! So I would just upload the file structure just like that from the package I downloaded (and extracted on my PC) from Zend? There is no actual installation required, just uploading all of those files to the webserver?

Edit So I'm uploading this huge file that I downloaded to my web server (behind documentroot) and then I will ALSO upload the file structure you posted above (which matches my Zend Framework Project) wherever I would like that to be and....... that works?

I guess I will just try it, but the uploading of the library and everything is taking quite a long time and I feel very confused and frustrated in the mean time  ???

So basically ... everything I was reading seems to have been overcomplicated things and making me confused.

So really, the IMPORTANT part of zend framework just seems to be the library (and the file I downloaded had dozens of other directories and files (including tones of heavy images!) that just wasn't necessary.

Zend Quickstart in general seems more complicated. Piecing everything together from various sources but it works. Thanks, solved.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.