Which Antivirus program are you using?

ila

Which antivirus program are you using?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which antivirus program are you using?

• AVG
    • Avast
    • Avira
    • Kaspersky
    • Panda
    • McAfee
    • Nod 32
    • Norton
    • Other
    • None

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which Antivirus program are you using?

Linux.  You should add that to the list...

Or a brain and some common sense, though it only works if you're the only person using the computer. Occasionally I might install an AV/spyware program, but the search never finds anything.

I don't like AV software because they always seem to significantly slow down the system, and full scans take half a day to complete.

Or a brain and some common sense, though it only works if you're the only person using the computer.

Why worry about all that petty shit?  Applications that constantly scan and monitor bog down your system.  There are very few applications that aren't compatible with Linux or aren't available in open source.  So someone with a brain and common sense would choose Linux.  This is especially true if you're a developer.  Features such as, 'grep' and 'locate', save much time and aggravation, and are almost worth getting Linux solely for those 2 features, not to mention a multitude of others.

Not if you want to occasionally play games and don't want to reboot all the time. Then there is Adobe CS if you care for such programs. GIMP/Inkscape doesn't even come near Photoshop/Illustrator. If/when I build myself a desktop to supplement my laptop, I'll run a Linux distro exclusively from this computer and put Windows on the desktop.

Linux is superior as a development platform, but I use my laptop for other things as well.

Besides, stupid people can fuck up a Linux install just as well as a Windows install. If they approve Vista's UAC prompts, do you really think they won't approve a sudo prompt?

Not if you want to occasionally play games and don't want to reboot all the time. Then there is Adobe CS if you care for such programs. GIMP/Inkscape doesn't even come near Photoshop/Illustrator. If/when I build myself a desktop to supplement my laptop, I'll run a Linux distro exclusively from this computer and put Windows on the desktop.

Linux is superior as a development platform, but I use my laptop for other things as well.

WINE can run Steam and Photoshop BTW.  You can also easily set up a virtual machine to run whatever Windows you want.  There's no need to reboot anything if you set everything up correctly.

But I do agree, if you are, for example, a graphic designer then you would want a Mac or w/e, and there's no need to use Linux.  Don't get me wrong, I have Windows on my home desktop specifically for gaming.  My argument was geared more towards the developer (even though I didn't directly state that), although you can use Linux for just about everything, including an anti-virus.

WINE can run Steam and Photoshop BTW.  You can also easily set up a virtual machine to run whatever Windows you want.

Yeah, but running a VM with Windows kind of defeats the point as far as I'm concerned. Legally you would still need a license and then there is the performance and resource usage overhead with running two operating systems simultaneously.

I've never liked Wine very much. I prefer to run my applications natively.

WINE can run Steam and Photoshop BTW.  You can also easily set up a virtual machine to run whatever Windows you want.

Yeah, but running a VM with Windows kind of defeats the point as far as I'm concerned. Legally you would still need a license and then there is the performance and resource usage overhead with running two operating systems simultaneously.

I've never liked Wine very much. I prefer to run my applications natively.

I think we can agree it all depends on what you need and are using the machine for.

Definitely. With broader vendor support I would move to Linux. It's kind of a chicken/egg problem though. They want platforms with many users, and users want broad support for the platform. Hopefully the vendor support will increase as Linux' market share does. I think Linux is better, but when you want apps that don't run on Linux you're out of luck.

Definitely. With broader vendor support I would move to Linux.

Yes, support is a brimming concern.  The only resource for support are forums like these.  So if you're in a development environment you better know what you're doing, although most distros have package managers that handle dependencies.

Hopefully the vendor support will increase as Linux' market share does.

I concur.  I know they started selling Dell machines with optional Linux (Ubuntu) OS.

Definitely. With broader vendor support I would move to Linux.

Yes, support is a brimming concern.  The only resource for support are forums like these.

Oh, I actually meant support in the sense that the software even runs on the given platform. I suppose support (=help) could be an issue for some people. I think Canonical offers paid support for Ubuntu though.

Do you like Avast?  I tried Avast and Avira... I thought both sucked total ass.  Wouldn't update, didn't catch things, etc.

I've used AVG and I think avast is better.  Updates frequently with no problems.  Sometimes I'll get a false positive which can be annoying, but it serves its purpose. I went a while without anything but anyone who uses bittorrent knows that people can be real ***holes sometimes!

As far as complaining about resources, do you guys really build or use systems that don't have some resources to spare?

And as far as I know WINE is always a step behind in running the newest release of Adobe Creative Suite.  I also don't think you will get the same performance as you would running it natively, but that is just speculating I suppose. It's nice to have a windows and linux box side by side with a KVM switch.

I've used Avast and AVG, and I think AVG is better, although I only used Avast briefly.  Currently I have AVG installed, but the resident shield is disabled, and daily scans are disabled.  If I download something suspicious or something, I just scan that file individually, and if I'm really suspicious I might do a full system scan the night after installing it.

I don't like anti virus softwares' resident shields.  They annoy me, although they are good from a virus detecting point of view.

Or a brain and some common sense, though it only works if you're the only person using the computer.

Why worry about all that petty shit?  Applications that constantly scan and monitor bog down your system.  There are very few applications that aren't compatible with Linux or aren't available in open source.  So someone with a brain and common sense would choose Linux.  This is especially true if you're a developer.  Features such as, 'grep' and 'locate', save much time and aggravation, and are almost worth getting Linux solely for those 2 features, not to mention a multitude of others.

Errrr....  Pretty sure grep exists on Windows, although I don't think locate does.  Or were you kidding when you said solely for those 2 features? ;p

Errrr....  Pretty sure grep exists on Windows, although I don't think locate does.  Or were you kidding when you said solely for those 2 features? ;p

There is a version of grep that can be installed on Windows, but it doesn't come pre-installed.

EDIT: Turns out Windows comes with a utility called findstr that functions similarly to grep.

There's also find on Windows.

How long would it take to download a grep clone though and put it somewhere in the PATH?

I'm just saying picking one OS over the other because of utilities doesn't make sense when the same utilities exist on both.

(Somethings obviously don't exist on both though...  For example, there's nothing like yum/apt-get for Windows/Mac.)

There is a version of grep that can be installed on Windows, but it doesn't come pre-installed.

EDIT: Turns out Windows comes with a utility called findstr that functions similarly to grep.

You can just download cygwin and install the desired packages...

Have you tried to recursively 'grep' a directory?  Have you used Window's version of 'locate' (I guess that would be find)?  Due to the structure of the filesystem and it's pure mass, they take damn near forever.

I'm just saying picking one OS over the other because of utilities doesn't make sense when the same utilities exist on both.

Yes it does, ones much slower than the other.

I'm not trying to bash Windows, I use it at home all the time, but my argument is geared towards developers.  Linux comes native with almost all the tools you need to develop with and the fact that you have control over your whole system makes you more efficient.

To be fair, I have not ever recursively grep'd a directory on Windows.  Also, to be fair, I have never used a locate clone on Windows. (Find is not a locate clone...  it's more of just a string finder thingy... Kind of like grep without any useful features lol.  for example:  netstat -n | find "ESTABLISHED" | find "127.0.0.1:80" would find connections established to localhost:80 by filtering the output of netstat -n.)

You can just download cygwin and install the desired packages...

Cygwin essentially emulates a POSIX environment.  As such, it is slower than a native exe.  Yes, it compiles things into exe's, but they're linked against the cygwin DLLs and libs which means that they are still being run through emulation in a sense.

"I'm not trying to bash Windows, I use it at home all the time, but my argument is geared towards developers.  Linux comes native with almost all the tools you need to develop with and the fact that you have control over your whole system makes you more efficient."

What can you control under linux that you can't control under Windows?

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to bash linux.  In fact, I love linux.  I have Fedora Core installed as the main OS on an old box, and I have Ubuntu in a triple-booting setup on this computer.

I actually like Ubuntu more than Windows.  It feels faster, looks better, so on.

I will say hands down that I think linux is a better operating system under which to run Apache/PHP/MySQL.

I just don't see how linux is just hands down a better developing system.  I usually develop under Windows (so I'm of course biased in this, in case you haven't noticed ;p), and I've never had trouble or felt like I was slowed down by Windows.  Just for the record, I have developed some under Ubuntu too.  When ever I first installed Ubuntu on this box, I used it for about 2 weeks before moving back to Windows as my main OS.  (I was tired of trying to use WINE and what not to run Photoshop and some other programs.)

I don't use any AV.

As far as the OS debate, I'd prefer to run Linux but I'm stuck running Windows because I like to play games and stream movies over NetFlix.  Dual-booting is out because it's just a PITA after a while.

I ran Photoshop CS2 on Ubuntu for a while and it did perform acceptably; however there were some GUI glitches that were annoying.

A Linux OS with Windows VM is out of the question for gaming as well; at least last I checked there is no VM that can give full hardware control to the virtual installation.  Windows will run its application better in a VM from my experience though.  I believe this has to do with Linux having better memory management and only creating a swap file when it's actually out of RAM, as opposed to the Windows OS which creates a swap file and uses it no matter what!

"as opposed to the Windows OS which creates a swap file and uses it no matter what!"

Yeah, I hate that...  It's possible to entirely disable the swap file, but that's obviously not the same and usually a bad idea.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.