Which Antivirus program are you using?

ila

Which antivirus program are you using?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which antivirus program are you using?

• AVG
    • Avast
    • Avira
    • Kaspersky
    • Panda
    • McAfee
    • Nod 32
    • Norton
    • Other
    • None

Yeah, I hate that...  It's possible to entirely disable the swap file, but that's obviously not the same and usually a bad idea.

Really?  I've been running without a swap for about 3 months now and I have no issues.  Then again, I'm packing 8 GB RAM.  :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I hate that...  It's possible to entirely disable the swap file, but that's obviously not the same and usually a bad idea.

Really?  I've been running without a swap for about 3 months now and I have no issues.  Then again, I'm packing 8 GB RAM.  :)

Fine, I'll revise my sentence from earlier:

"Yeah, I hate that...  It's possible to entirely disable the swap file, but that's obviously not the same and usually a bad idea depending on how much RAM you have, what programs you're running, and which version of Windows you're using."

I have 3GB of RAM under Vista (well, Windows 7 right now, but I use Vista every now and then lol).  Considering Vista uses 1GB, I probably wouldn't want to disable my swap file.  (Stupid 32bit memory addressing...  I would like to have more memory, but I'm too lazy to install a x64 OS just for that.)

The best anti-virus program in my opinion is restricited users. Comes with any modern OS. (Might be talking out of ignorance as I've never used a linux OS before, but I assume they have it too.)

I've never actually been virused that couldn't be deleted in the last 4 years. (I do not include reformatting as being deleted.) Restrictied users FTW.

When you downloaded the Win7 RC ISO, why didn't you just pick x64 instead of x86?

Oh yeah, forgot to explain that....  Well, I didn't have a DVD, and the x64 installer can't be run from inside of a x32 OS like the x32 can be.

MalwareBytes isn't an antivirus, its malware scanner,

AVG is okay as its free.. I'm not a great fan,

IMHO Norton sucks, Half the time your need to be fully infected before it does anything and then doesn't remove it completely, and it is a resource hog,

Avast, is good I like the scan on boot that's a cool feature but every now and again I have to remove and reinstall it, it seam the logs stay in memory or get bloated, and slows the system down,

Kaspersky I find works quite well,

However one package never seams to cover all, but running 2 in real time causes hell, so IMHO, find a good one for real time scanning and another one for full scans,

• 4 months later...

I dont use any. :S

Just don't download crap you dont trust, and use no-script so that malicious sites can't haxor you with javascript.

I have on occasion downloaded the trails and ran them and they found nothing. So I must be doing somethign right.

I guess people must be doing really dumb things to get viruses. :shrug:

What can you control under linux that you can't control under Windows?

wow. i'd say almost everything :)

i feel so restricted when i get on my dad's Windows PC. Windows comes packaged a certain way and there's very little you can change in comparison to Linux. In Linux, you can take the entire OS apart if you really want to.

In Windows, I can maybe customize my theme, mess with the registry a little and little things like that.

luckily i'm not so fond of computer games so i don't need Windows :D

i do a lot of audio production and so i have a MIDI controller. i can even hook that up via USB on Ubuntu and use audio software like RoseGarden and do all my production work.

my dad uses Avast on his PC...i hope that's a good one because he really doesn't know what he's doing on the computer, half the time haha

I use mcafee enterprise edition, supplied by company I work for.  Before that, I used windows defender, and I never had a problem with viruses.  Probably because I don't go around trying to download copyrighted stuff for free.  Which I'm not judging... just sayin'...it's a double edged sword, doing that.

I use mcafee enterprise edition, supplied by company I work for.  Before that, I used windows defender, and I never had a problem with viruses.  Probably because I don't go around trying to download copyrighted stuff for free.  Which I'm not judging... just sayin'...it's a double edged sword, doing that.

I downloaded Windows 7 Pro for free and it's copyrighted. I'm pretty sure it came without viruses. :P

[attachment deleted by admin]

I downloaded Windows 7 Pro for free and it's copyrighted. I'm pretty sure it came without viruses. :P

okay you got me there, mr. semantics.  Dammit I want a free (legal) copy of windows 7, hook it up.

okay you got me there, mr. semantics.  Dammit I want a free (legal) copy of windows 7, hook it up.

Then attend some sort of university. Many CS departments are in MSDNAA. There is one caveat, however: You are not allowed to do any for-profit work using the stuff you download from MSDNAA. In reality nobody ever checks it though. We are about 1000 students at my department, all of which are eligible for an MSDNAA subscription. It's pretty much guaranteed that nobody will bother to check what people are actually using it for regularly. Of course continuing to use it would be just as illegal as applying a crack downloaded from the Internet.

Haaa!

It seems I am the only person using Avira which is a bit worrying :/

I did have Norton/Symantec when I first got my laptop which was terrible to uninstall. You have to download a whole another program.

Anybody recommend anything better than Avira? Or am I ok with that?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.