[SOLVED] Boyce-Codd Normal Form (BCNF)

Andy-H

Does anyone know where I can find an idiot proof explanation of Boyce-Codd Normal Form database normalisation as I have a college assignment to be in tomorrow and must implement it into a stock control system (only making the database using Access  :( ) And have been googling away for two hours and still dont understand it.  :-\ 

Also if anyone knows anything on this topic can you please tell me if this is correct as it's the 'fruit' of my two hour labour.

Boyce-Codd Normal Form

The Boyce-Codd Normal Form (BCNF) database normalisation methodology is a methodology for database design used to normalise data beyond the third normal form (3NF).  In BCNF, every determinant must be a candidate key; if this is not the case then the form of the database is not BCNF. For example, if there was a table used to hold data about employee’s with the attributes: employeeID, firstName, lastName, title. The employeeID field determines the firstName and lastName, this is a superkey and must hold unique data and can not be NULL. Similarly the tuple (firstName, lastName) determines the employeeID, this makes firstName, lastName candidate keys of employeeID. In such a case; as previously explained, these determinants must be candidate keys, however, a relations' candidate keys must have unique sets of values for each row it holds.

Sorry to be a pest but I pretty much have eight hours left to salvage my National Diploma and avoid stacking shelves for a living. Thanks for any answers.

P.S. I am only asking for the means to understand it but I will still understand any angry 'you lazy ass' comments. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.