connecting php to two databases on the same machine

tina20

Hi,

I'm using XAMPP package to develop a php site on the intranet level. To be more precise, the PHPMyAdmin tool. The issue is we are developing a solution wherein some modules are in php and others in asp.net.

PROBLEM 1:

Two databases are coming into picture namely, mysql from the XAMPP package for running php pages and mssql server 2005 for runing .net pages. I want to retrieve records from the employee master table of sql database and upload it into mysql database. In the same way i want to pass on some records from mysql database to mssql database. Is this ideally possible...If so could you suggest a solution????

Do you have to use two databases? Both ASP.NET and PHP have MSSQL and MySQL support which allows you to connect to one database with all of the information from either application. This would save on administering two databases and probably would make your life a bit easier too. If you're thinking about doing it this way I would go with the MSSQL database and then use PHP's support to connect to it. Below is a list of the DB functions:

http://php.net/manual/en/book.mssql.php

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.