Redid Website Homepage. Is it an improvement?

LawsLoop

Site Overview

I own a website where people are able to create their own political manifestos about any issue they care about. Alongside this, other members are able to comment and rate pages on the political scale and somewhere therein is a social network.

----------------------------------------

I recently totally redid the Homepage feeling that the old one had too much text on it that nobody would read, we needed something provocative and simple to draw attention. I also like the simple but effective design of Fmylife.com.

This is the current Homepage: http://www.lawsloop.com

This is the old Homepage: http://www.lawsloop.com/index4.php

I think the current Homepage looks marginally more 2.0 but I feel I need your opinions.

Since I put up the new homepage, we've had no new registrations but on the day I put it up, we were removed as a featured website on one of those 'Top Sites' sites which was giving us a heck of a lot of traffic so I don't know whether we've had no new registrations because of that or if the Homepage is turning people off.

(By the way, we're a new site so 2-3 new registrations a day is considered good)

---

Anyway, critique please! Which Homepage is better and why? Or how can I improve the current one?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.