Drupal CMS Install: White Screen of Death after Form Submission

scunt

Hi guys,

I was hoping for a little help, and am sadly a complete php noob and am in awe of the sheer amount of knowledge of the PHP-communities that I have stumbled upon.

I have a Drupal install on shared hosting, and have been completely stumped by what's known as the White screen of death (WSOD.)

After submitting any form, the page loads completely blank without any error messages - when I refresh the page, the content loads proving that the form was submitted correctly but displaying the following message.

Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at scunt.co.uk/web/modules/user/user.module:1) in scunt.co.uk/web/includes/common.inc on line 141.

The website is http://www.scunt.co.uk and the problem can be seen by clicking on 'archive' and trying to use the search form.

The error happens after any form submit, login/logout and search functions.

I have deduced from trawling forums that the problem may likely come down to blank spaces or incorrectly closed tags in my php files.

If there is anybody here that can help decipher the error message then I would be so very greatful. - I can provide any further information required.

Thanks a million, ripping my hair out at this point!

X

It's impossible to say without digging through your actual code, but there are a few possibilities. You may need to increase the memory limit in your php.ini file, or you may actually have a php closing tag in one of your files, which in Drupal, you shouldn't. That is counter to everything everywhere else, but Drupal works this way - no closing php tags on any module files.

php ini is set to 128, and my hosts have confermed that they are not capping it any lower so I guess it can't be that.

I guess i'l start my trawling. Is there any way of finding offending code more quickly?

Hey scunt,

First thing I would do is to view the error_log of your website after you make the site error out. You can also tail the error_log while you do this to give you real-time display. You may need to contact your host to get access to the error_log or be granted SSH access.

Make sure in your php.ini file that the following two entries in php.ini are set:

error_reporting = E_ALL

log_errors = On

If you have access to the logs via SSH you can do: tail -n0 -f <path/to/your/error_log.log> which will keep the error_log open until you ctrl+c it, but should show you the PHP error that is occurring. If you only have FTP access to the logs after the fact, you would need to replicate the issue, download the logs, and then check the timestamp for the correct error.

php ini is set to 128, and my hosts have confermed that they are not capping it any lower so I guess it can't be that.

It could be - I run my Drupal installations at 256, because I have come across the occasional process that 128 doesn't cover. Try bumping it up and seeing what happens.

It could also be a mysql problem. You sometimes need to increase this:

max_allowed_packet

although some/many shared servers won't allow you to do this.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.