[SOLVED] I'm confused. I thought HTML was client side?

PugJr

(close the img tag with > instead of /> if using HTML <= 4.01)

That is off validator.w3.org . What I'm confused about this is that it sounds like its acting if the servers html is <= 4.01 or not depends if you use ">" or "/>". I'm confused. I thought clients interpreated the HTML and servers just sent data. Could anyone explain to me what I'm not understanding?

I've got no idea what your confused about. Its simply saying use > instead of /> if your using HTML 4.01 or lower.

The version of html you use is defined client side using doctype definitions.

Well lets say we have two people on my webpage. One uses HTML 4.01 and the other uses HTML 4.00. It says switch the tags in the case of HTML <= 4.01, but since HTML version is all client side, how can you know which tag to use?

Or really, my question is, what would be the proper end tag? ">" or "/>"? I'm just confused how depending on the HTML version you switch the tags or something? I don't really understand.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.