Time for another review...

underparnv

Alright...I finally have my site ready to go for the 2006-07 NFL Season.  All functions of the site were written / designed by myself.

What I would like to know is what everyone thinks, and what changes as well as additions they would make.

[url=http://tse.matrixcs.biz]http://tse.matrixcs.biz[/url]

Thanks!!

Your top header is all white for a while as the page loads slowwwwly. Maybe you should shrink it down somewhat. Now overall, I think that this is a nice, clean, CSS design that you've got here, though the columns could probably use a bit more padding, and the green block headers are kind of plain. Maybe a football or something could go there to give it some detail other then a block of colour?
Aside from that, it's good, clean, and reflective of your goal. I can immediately tell what your site is about, and though it is somewhat narrow on 1280x1024, it still looks good. No compatibility errors that I can see, which is good-overall, it's well done. But, just a question-why don't you increase the main column to a full 800px width? If you applied your background image to the body tag instead, it would work just as well.

moberemk is exactly right.

Put an image of a football on the left or somewhere.
Also - I would put the text in the top into an image - this will let you pick a different font and style it up a bit.

The column on the left is way too wide - and the middle one is too narrow.

Looks ok tho.

-steve

I'm not quite sure what the hell you're loading, but I watched at least 1.2mb fly by on the initial page load.  The header image didn't show up until after that was done, and even then it wasn't all that impressive.

Ok, so I looked at your source and got the size of your header image.... 900KB!!!!!!  Are you out of your mind?  That image shouldn't be anymore than 100kb tops!  Do some optomization!

The rest of the site looks pretty good... my only other complaint would be that you should probably think about putting a line under the horizontal nav at the top... it kind of rolls over into the 'user login' and 'latest headlines' areas.  It looks a little weird.

Alright...I got that nasty unoptimized png out of there and put in a streamlines jpg.  :)

I will see what I can do about seperating the nav from the content.  I never would have caught that!  :P

I will also see what I can do to make the schedule page a bit more user friendly, as the way it displays now does kind of stink. 

Finally...I kind of like the plain roll-overs at the top, but again will see what I can come up with to spice it up a bit.

Thanks a ton for all the feedback!!

Your site looked interesting, so I signed up.  When I got the confirmation email this is the link it gave me:
http://www.http.com//thesportingedge.matrixcs.biz/index.php 

You have too many http's in there.  Might want to fix that.

EDIT: actually, that was after it confirmed me.  It forwarded me to that.  The link in the email is OK.

Also, you may want to put on the form what your limitations are.  I put in a 4 character username and had to redo that part of the form. 

EDIT2: it won't do the confirmation based off of the link I got in the email!!

Hey ober,

Sorry for the email mis-hap.  I am working on it now and went ahead and manually approved your account -- but I see you already logged in.

I will get that fixed asap, and will add the requirements for each of the fields on the registration form.

Thanks!

So I'm trying to put in my football image for the rollover on the navigation, and I've used this code in the CSS:

[code]#nav ul li a:hover {
    background: #798550 url(nav.jpg) no-repeat top;
}[/code]

Now...when viewing the site, the rollover is only the color, not the image.

What gives?!  Is it because it's the a tag and not the li???

• 1 month later...
Alright everyone.  Instead of trying to add in padding to the container, and re-doing the nav, I decided to start from scratch.  This is how it turned out:

[url=http://thesportingedge.matrixcs.biz/tse20_screen.gif]http://thesportingedge.matrixcs.biz/tse20_screen.gif[/url] ([b]98.48 KB[/b])

This is another XHTML 1.0 Strict compliant design...and I am quite proud of it.

I would love to hear your comments!

Thanks.

underparnv

1) Make the username field as wide a the password field.
2) I don't like the button saying that it's valid XHTML Strict when it's not (it found 1 error when I validated it).
3) The same goes for the CSS (6 errors).
4) Use percentages instead of pixels. Users with low screen resolutions can't view it.
[b]Edit:[/b] That was for the first layout.

Layout two (the posted screenshot):
It feels like there is something missing where it says "The Sporting Edge".

[quote author=Daniel0 link=topic=102921.msg436381#msg436381 date=1158562546]
1) Make the username field as wide a the password field.
2) I don't like the button saying that it's valid XHTML Strict when it's not (it found 1 error when I validated it).
3) The same goes for the CSS (6 errors).
4) Use percentages instead of pixels. Users with low screen resolutions can't view it.
[b]Edit:[/b] That was for the first layout.

Layout two (the posted screenshot):
It feels like there is something missing where it says "The Sporting Edge".
[/quote]

Hey Daniel0,

On the first layout, the only reason the site doesn't validate (the one error) is because when PHP inserts the hidden session id field, it puts it in right after the opening form tag.  I am looking for a fix for this now...however, I wasn't aware of the CSS errors.  I will get those fixed.

Also, how do you figure that users with lower screen resolutions can't see my site?  It looks perfect in 800x600...do I need to go any lower?

What do you feel is missing on the "The Sporting Edge" portion of the second design?

[quote author=steviewdr link=topic=102921.msg436426#msg436426 date=1158575051]
I see you are using opacity in the footer!!  ;) Aint work in Opera.

Seems ok apart from that.
-steve
[/quote]

The opacity thing isn't all that exciting.  I just put it in there because it looks cool.  It is gone in the second design, which is the reason for the bump on this thread.

Thanks!!

underparnv

Hey steviewdr,

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, the contact form is still in development (as is a lot of things on the version2 site...).  The reason for the images being broken is that they are currently pointing to localhost...which I will get fixed  :D

When you say there is a lot of stuff there, what should be taken away?

Thanks!

[quote author=underparnv link=topic=102921.msg436566#msg436566 date=1158592753]
Also, how do you figure that users with lower screen resolutions can't see my site?  It looks perfect in 800x600...do I need to go any lower?
[/quote]

Well, on very low screen resolutions you can view it, but it is kind of annoying having to scroll to the side, so if you use percentages instead of pixels the layout will fit according to the user's screen resolution.

What do you feel is missing on the "The Sporting Edge" portion of the second design?
[/quote]

I am not sure. A logo perhaps?

[quote author=Daniel0 link=topic=102921.msg437396#msg437396 date=1158688107]
[/quote]

Well, on very low screen resolutions you can view it, but it is kind of annoying having to scroll to the side, so if you use percentages instead of pixels the layout will fit according to the user's screen resolution.

[/quote]

I am not sure. A logo perhaps?
[/quote]

On the first design, I don't get a scroll on 800x600...do you?

I know that on the second one there is a scroll, but according to my stats, only 1% of my visitors use 800x600 anyway...and you can still see all the content without scrolling left-right, so I'm not too worried about it...

Logo?!?!  I am a DEVELOPER...not a designer!!  :P

[quote author=Daniel0 link=topic=102921.msg437405#msg437405 date=1158689308]
Your form fields are too wide:
[URL=http://img76.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot11dl0.png][IMG]http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3972/screenshot11dl0.th.png[/img][/URL]
[/quote]

What browser are you using there?

I will check to see the width's there, but they show fine in FF 1.5.0.6 and IE 6.0.2800.1106........

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.