Freelancing - Question, not an Ad :D

seventheyejosh

OK, I just wanna say that i realize there is a freelance section, but I'm not look for / posting any kind of work. Well, directly through this post, that is.

Basically, I started working 2 years ago for a start up company, and have added another year during that time at another company. Well, I've decided to finally go back to college, as I've had my 3 year self-discovery period. :D Unfortunately, the first company I've been with is dissolving, for no bad reason, and the second will only offer me so many hours a week, which won't add up to what i need :D.

So here I am with all of this skill :D and nothing to do with it. I've joined 4 (freelance) websites in the past week. php-freelancers.com, guru.com, project4hire.com, and elance.com. I've put out about 20 bids on each, and have only gotten a few returned emails. It seems that everyone wants to go with the $1.25/hr Indian company :(. Which I'm all too used to seeing when we have clients that come back about getting screwed etc etc.

Not to stray off topic though, my question is, I'm sure that a couple of you had to have done some freelancing at some point, and I was wondering what advice you can offer. Should I just mass bid? Should i go to a particular site? Stay away from another? I'm not looking to make a killing and get rich, I just have about a $500 difference that I need to make up each month, and I really don't want to work at walmart again... (I did for 2 years)

Thanks, and thanks again for anyone who responds :)

Good day!

It's all about word of mouth about the price to quality of your services & presentation of yourself. I've done some work for local clients, and when someone asked about their website, they have always referred them to me. Personally, I prefer working for local clients because the communication piece is so much easier, I mean if I have a question or presentation I don't have to worry about any time zone changes, I can swing by their office, etc. I know of a few people that have posted on here, proved that they have quality work, and were offered a couple of jobs.

That's basically where I'm at.  I do this stuff on the side and I do alright for myself.  A couple people found me, I found a couple of them.  Some of them have panned out fantastically and not only return for business but refer me to friends or anyone that asks about their website.  Things just continue to grow for me to the point where I'm pushing off work that I can't handle. 

It takes time to build that up though, so I'd say for now you might be stuck battling in the slums of the freelancers.

I've looked at some of those freelance type sites, like odesk and I just refuse to work for the rates people want.  The overseas (indian) market is really screwing things for this field.  I hold on to a steady 9-5 because I'm stuck in the middle of a competitive market.  As mentioned already, I think you should try to pick up some local clients if you can.  Make sure you tell your friends and family to start that you are in the market as a freelance web developer and to refer people to you if they can.

I think my main 2 bottlenecks are in that Im in a smaller rural community, where everyone uses the one company that I still work at, and has used them forever. So it's a little hard to get going in that route. I already maintain all of the resturaunts and store websites :D.

Another thing is, I've been so focused on learning to code and code some more, that I've failed to pick up web design. That is, the creation and slicing etc of a PSD. I know CSS and such, but I dont know colors etc. That is why I'm trying to find stuff like, someone needs a DB makeover, or needs a login script, or a flash player etc etc. I've even tried craigslist, but to no avail. Nothing around, and the boards with stuff want local :|

I think my main 2 bottlenecks are in that Im in a smaller rural community, where everyone uses the one company that I still work at, and has used them forever. So it's a little hard to get going in that route. I already maintain all of the resturaunts and store websites :D.

Another thing is, I've been so focused on learning to code and code some more, that I've failed to pick up web design. That is, the creation and slicing etc of a PSD. I know CSS and such, but I dont know colors etc. That is why I'm trying to find stuff like, someone needs a DB makeover, or needs a login script, or a flash player etc etc. I've even tried craigslist, but to no avail. Nothing around, and the boards with stuff want local :|

Wait, are you me from 5 years ago?  I started out in the middle of nowhere and I don't really subscribe to the "try the local scene" stuff.  None of my clients have come from pounding the sidewalks and knocking on doors.  Steps I took to get me where I am:

1) Start hitting up the decent looking projects here in the freelance board.  One of my better clients came from PHP Freaks.

2) When you work for someone, do your best and treat them right.  Burn a bridge with a client and you could be cutting off a pipeline of work.

3) Networking.  Get to know other developers, especially ones that are busy.  Often they get overloaded and will toss a job here or there in your direction (if you're worth your weight).

4) Learn the design stuff.  It's not easy, and I'm not even close to good with it, but I've learned a few tricks here and there and I can get the basics down.  And use things at your disposal.  Not every design has to start from scratch.  There are a lot of good templates out there that can be used or modified to suit your needs.  And if you really suck at design, try something like this: http://www.artisteer.com/

Good luck.  Freelancing is hard work, especially when you compete against hacks that undercut the business by doing the work for little to nothing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.