Favorite Smiley?

PugJr

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the PHPFreakers be voting on which set they like more since this is quite a drastic change and all?

Smileys are one of most important components of a happy forum community  ;D

I say keep one of the sets only.

What should :) then refer to? The SMF built-in or then one you made? What would be a logical code for the "normal" smiley besides :) ? I'm also thinking consistency here.

Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of what Maq was suggesting (the 'more' section)... Was thinking about satisfying both sides of the fence so-to-speak... But I can see your point with regards to consistency though.

The only ones I don't really like are the thumbs up/down - think they are a bit too big. Other than that I love these new ones! :D

I wasn't sure about those icons tbh. I just stuck them in there for now(I'm trying to think in terms of icons that could be useful for the community on general, so I thought about thumbs up and thumbs down.. so when someone posts a good solution, thumbs-up! Bad code could have the thumbs-down or even worse, some bad code scolding smiley yet to be created ;D ).. obviously, if going this route, we can dismantle any we don't want.

Update:

OK, nearing the end of the set. Here's what I have thus far:

my_smilies04.gif

I made some minor tweaks to some of them (happy / sad face mouth lines no longer extend from edge to edge, added some abbreviations, etc..)

I also did a few very quick animation tests (non optimized):

reading_anim_test.gif This could be either reading through code or a post and not agreeing with what you read for example.

rules_anim_test.gif Making a point of the rules (I'm sure Dan would love this one, as I know just how much he loves members parading around with the rule book! ;) )

rtfm_anim_test.gif An animated version of RTFM emoticon. Something short and sweet (obvious variant of the first one).

So these are obviously not cast in stone. Just throwing some ideas out there. I'm not a big fan of animated emoticons tbh. I have nothing against animation.. just wouldn't want to see a thread filled to the gills with tons of little animated icons all over the place (a serious turn off). Having the odd emoticon with 'subtle' animation isn't terrible though imo.

I'll look at finishing off that final row soon (I was thinking about adding a 'Just Google it!' emoticon, but wasn't sure if I should go for it or not. On a final note, what would be cool is if some emoticons like RTMF ( and Google it! should you guys want one) would be in essence a gif hyperlink that points to the approriate site (so RTFM would point to the home page of php.net for example). In any case, I'll wrap these up sometime this weekend...

Cheers

Ok, set finished.

my_smilies05.gif

So obviously, I added labels, in case some weren't sure what's what. Right off the bat, the last column of emoticons (pissed off, thumb up and thumb down) are ones I propose to axe should this set become adopted (I like all the others). When looking at the code and php tag emoticons, I thought perhaps merging them into a singular one would be best (use code / php tags) ?

If given the green light, I could create nice optimized individual files of these and fire them off (thinking of throwing them through smush.it! as well to reduce unnecessary under-the-hood crap). If not, it was a fun project none the less. I hope you guys like them. I think these with a possibility of extending beyond would certainly add some pizazz and help separate us from other SMF based sites.

Suggestions / feedback welcome.

I won't delve into the animations any further until we know if these will make it as a replacement or not. But if they do, I'll do that one for sure.

touché is a good suggestion. Sometime later today, I'll see what I can come up with.

On a side note, I am in agreement with Pug about the kissy one being the worst.. do we really use / need that one? (referring to this one:  :-* )

On a side note, I am in agreement with Pug about the kissy one being the worst.. do we really use / need that one? (referring to this one:  :-* )

When someone sends me an angry PM after having moderated them, I sometimes like to use that one.

Anyway, where do you see them?

When someone sends me an angry PM after having moderated them, I sometimes like to use that one.

Haha yeah I've done that.

Ok, so I can do a version of that one if you guys like using them against angry PMs. I was more referring to general forum use (I don't beleive I see that one used [not saying it doesn't get used.. just saying I don't see it being used - with the exception of perhaps this thread]). But what the hell, I'll do that one anyway (though I find that particular one retarded).

and what about coming up with one that represents touché

Ok, here is the set (now with touché included - top right):

my_smilies06.gif

you're missing the  ::)

I've updated the animations:

bulging_eyes_anim_test.gif    kiss_anim_test.gif    rolling_eyes_anim_test.gif      reading_anim_test.gif      crying_anim_test.gif    rules_anim_test.gif

I think we have enough to work with for now. I must move on to portfolio work. We can always extend on these later if you guys want...

I think we have enough to work with for now. I must move on to portfolio work. We can always extend on these later if you guys want...

You should add the smilies to your portfolio, that would really bring in some business.

hmm...dunno about that touché smiley...looks more like a shy smiley.  I was trying to visualize a smiley that would be recognized as touché and I guess I can't really think of anything.  I guess a nodding/bowing smiley but still seems kind of lacking.  Ah well. 

hmm...dunno about that touché smiley...looks more like a shy smiley.  I was trying to visualize a smiley that would be recognized as touché and I guess I can't really think of anything.  I guess a nodding/bowing smiley but still seems kind of lacking.  Ah well. 

Piggybacking off CV, you should make the smiley bow with a fencing sword.

If you split them up for me, I'll upload them.

I'll split them up sometime this evening, optimized an all (do I just send to your gmail account?)

@CV, yeah, I was running a blank for touche... but Maq's suggestion of fencing will do the trick? I'll revamp that one soon.

You should add the smilies to your portfolio, that would really bring in some business.

Hehe.. I'll probably do an icon section down the road to put those in there.

Piggybacking off CV, you should make the smiley bow with a fencing sword.

Ok, so how about something along these lines?

touche.gif

I like the top one personally (and in case your wondering, that's a face screen in the up position on his head - gets difficult to squeeze detail into a small pixel space like that)  :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.