Favorite Smiley?

PugJr

Instead of dynamically generating the image, wouldn't it be easier making it out of multiple images and then have the sign text being a <div>?

I think thats what CV means.. a central div (with a border and the function as a link centered within it), and two smilies, one positioned at either end... so if I understand it, it would resemble some like this (taking a screen shot from CV's sig):

sign2.gif

Obviously, instead of CV's sig message, a function link in its place. I can either re-use like I have done above, or make two new ones (perhaps you want to see some specific emotions from these guys). We could make them as one image that is used as a css sprite sheet, one half loaded as an anchor on one side of the div, while the other loaded as another anchor on the other side (saves 1 http request and some memory this way). If not, we can simply do it as 2 separate images. Using CSS, we can simply set the div top and bottom border to black (to accompany the standard black outline look that the smilies use).In either case, let me know what kind of ideas for the side smilies (be it re-use or unique). I'll hammer them off either later today, tomorrow, or the weekend.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, we needn't necessarily use two separate images, but using a sprite and CSS we can probably use only one.

Right, as I mentioned previously, we could use a sprite sheet and load each end smiley as (say an anchor tag - at least, this is the way I would tackle it personally).

Ok, so taking a break from the portfolio piece (artist-block), I gave these three a go:

my_smilies07.gif

As for the quoted for truth, I was thinking in the context of truth = justice.. so I quoted a judge (noted by the old-school curly white hair wig) blabbing away (quoting). I think I'll tweak that one a bit.

Thoughts?

hmm...to me it looks more like a yellow hand holding a yellow ball. 

Yeah, it can depend on how you look at it I suppose. At first, I just used the simple little hand (that you see used to hold signs for example), and it didn't work at all as you can imaging. So in this case, I just wanted to use a hand and a face somewhat buried in it (I don't think including the arm that the hand is attached to would work in this case.. more of a simple symbolic face in hand kind of thing).

Ok, I initially did the head shaking thing, and then tried CV's suggestion of smacking the head first, then shaking it. Turns out the latter suggestion was better  - albeit, to optimise frames, I start shaking the head on hand smack impact. So I focused on two versions of the smack.. one with an eye blink, the other without... (these animations are not optimized, as in they are not tightly cropped - I use extra space initially to make sure I have enough room to play with).

With blink:

facepalm_anim_test-03.gif

Without blink:

facepalm_anim_test-04.gif

Personally, I like it with the blink, as I find it adds a dash more 'character' to the poor sap...

haha I like the blink one better too but hmm...to me it kind of looks like he's trying to be psychic.  I guess that kind of works as a smiley in general (for people who think we're psychic when they post their questions) but not really as a facepalm. 

What about keeping it for a "I'm  not psychic" smiley and rethinking the imagery behind facepalm?  For instance, what kinds of posts would you use a facepalm smiley for?

I like the blink, I don't like the head shake.

As in, you think it will look better just smacking the face, hold that pose, then go back to the intial frame?

If so, I'm not sure the animation would look 'complete' if I understand it right. If you want, I can give it a shot, just to see (won't take much time), but I personally don't mind the head shake.

As in, you think it will look better just smacking the face, hold that pose, then go back to the intial frame?

If so, I'm not sure the animation would look 'complete' if I understand it right. If you want, I can give it a shot, just to see (won't take much time), but I personally don't mind the head shake.

Maybe.  I don't know.  I don't typically shake my head when I facepalm.  I guess that's where my thought comes from.

For instance, what kinds of posts would you use a facepalm smiley for?

I can see the facepalm being used for many things, like when you try to explain something to someone, but they just arn't getting it, so in frustration, you facepalm it.. or using it for simple stupidity posts (I figured the facepalm would be quite the versatile smiley - perhaps I'm wrong though).

Well, I'm all open for suggestions.

Maybe.  I don't know.  I don't typically shake my head when I facepalm.  I guess that's where my thought comes from.

Ok ober.. I'll try a version without the head shaking.

haha okay I guess that's not quite what I meant.  Or rather, I figured as much already.  I'm thinking alternatives to a face palm animation that would convey the same message.  Like maybe a smiley banging his head against the wall or something.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing our own version of the smiley smashing his face against the wall (as I see that in many other forums). But definitely, this was more geared towards (I don't believe this crap! kind of thing...)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.