"Relevant Topics" javascript

Hello!

This is a feature suggestion for the boards. I don't know if you have been in ubuntuforums, google groups, or stackoverflow that features a set of relevant topics using the keywords typed in the title name

It would help quite a lot to keep down redundant questions made in PHP Help forum imho (or maybe other forums)

See attachment for example, taken from stackoverflow

[attachment deleted by admin]

You mean a search feature?  Yeah we have that.  Most people just can't be bothered to use it.

Or are you talking about how when the user is in the middle of posting, it suggests threads before it lets him post, or after he posts?  If it's before..meh, it might reduce some, but I doubt it.  People have a funny way of thinking that they are the first person to ever ask a question.  I doubt they will bother with being diverted pre-post.  Maybe if we had it suggest threads after the user posts, it might help them, but it won't help us, as the post will have already been made.

Hey I'm just one person, and it's just my opinion.  No cause for giving up so quickly, lol. 

See that CV? Your words not only destroy worlds, but crush dreams / ambitions as well ;)Poor soul never stood a chance!

Hey I'm just one person, and it's just my opinion.  No cause for giving up so quickly, lol.

Well, I don't know who decides these things anyway (site and forum features/updates) lol I'm already heartbroken and probably will cry at night <_<

but but I know... that deep inside... there is a kind soul (coughs blood)

Anyway, well, the idea is there, just needs support and approval... *goes to overdose with valium and prozac*

See that's my thought.  I see a lot of questions that could have easily been googled, or searched for on the forums, but aren't.  I think putting up suggestions like that will be kind of like putting up a ToS when registering for something.  It's just one more thing to ignore, scroll down and click the 'next' button.  Most people just tune out all the stuff between getting from point A to point B.  They feel coming to the forum and posting is their due diligence and effort in solving their problem, now someone come in and do their part; wave a magic wand or whatever is done to fix it.

I started looking at the topics name at PHP Help... it reminds me when I was browsing 4Chan site that was the day I lost half of my braincells :[ *facepalm*

Well, true enough you could either force the users to learn how to ask questions... then again.. it's one scary thought.

Of course you could also do CV's suggestion of "after post" that is to direct it to the search then if the post doesn't exist (which probably will do) create a new one which is probably better than having a real-time lookup.

Now, truth is that not many people will know how to ask because they are new to PHP. Yet, there will be people once in a while that  comes asking specific questions (paypal subscriptions... how to do X thing, i want to create X... ) if the javascript is tried, while the user writes the post title they become more aware of how irrelevant is their topic, so it is safe to say that they might attempt to rewrite the topic to see what results they get. Or not. It's hard to determine how many users will become aware

even better for an idea would be something that query's the post name before they post to see if it exists already.  That could eliminate a lot of "help now please" threads.

As they type (or everytime they hit space) have it do a query through AJAX to check all the post names for the current word.

Then again, that seems like it would cause quite a server bog-down.  ~15 users an hour, typing up their new threads (~144/day = ~6/hour)....hmm that doesn't look so bad.  Weird

but wouldn't that be a cool idea.  I see people all the time clickin those things (the suggestions)...well the ones who can type without looking at every single key.  Which I'd assume would be a tleast a good percentage of 80,000+

...That could eliminate a lot of "help now please" threads.

Admittedly off topic, but what would be cool is if during post submission, a script checks the subject line against a list to see if the subject is useful or not.. so if the subject matches 'help now please', or variations of this ('Urgent! Help!' or some other similar crap), the posting system returns to the posting screen with a warning to the user to use a more descriptive subject.

I hate it when people don't use appropriate subject lines and instead resort to dumb crap like "Please Help!" (or something similar along those lines). Those subjects say absolutely nothing with regards to the problem at hand, and simply denotes that they are lazy / inconsiderate.

so if the subject matches 'help now please', or variations of this ('Urgent! Help!' or some other similar crap), the posting system returns to the posting screen with a warning to the user to use a more descriptive subject.

Or instead of guessing these phrases...the forum db could be queried (1 time....or 1 time a month) to find the top 10,20,etc posts that have duplicate names

so that before the post is posted..the user can be penalized with an error message..like...

damnit! Quit posting the same shit as everyone else

so if the subject matches 'help now please', or variations of this ('Urgent! Help!' or some other similar crap), the posting system returns to the posting screen with a warning to the user to use a more descriptive subject.

Or instead of guessing these phrases...the forum db could be queried (1 time....or 1 time a month) to find the top 10,20,etc posts that have duplicate names

so that before the post is posted..the user can be penalized with an error message..like...

damnit! Quit posting the same shit as everyone else

Right.. and two consecutive violations results in 'eternal banation'.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.